What's new

Marillion...Recommendations Wanted (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

Now that you've mentioned The Flower Kings, I thought I'd add that Roine Stolt is also one of the members of Transatlantic. And before you ask, Neal Morse (formerly of Spock's Beard) is the fourth one.

That should keep you busy!

Getting back to Marillion, I think I'll have to give Clutching at Straws another try. I used to own it (during my obsessive "buy everything that my new favorite group has put out" phase) but ended up selling it a few years later.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
One from each singer?

Fish- Misplaced Childhood
I personally find that the concept binds the album together in a way that the others lack, creating a consistently enjoyable listen. However, Clutching At Straws is a very close second and I can understand and almost agree with those who choose it over Childhood.
Meanwhile, Fugazi is by far my least favorite Marillion album, including the H stuff. While containing many great ideas, most of the songs don't really hold together well IMO. It's very messy.

Hogarth- Anoraknophobia
Since you want to know what they sound like "today," their latest release is the most logical choice. :)

Just to clear up where I'm coming from with Marillion, I am glad that when H arrived the band stopped "sounding like Marillion." Frankly, while I like the Fish stuff, it was already getting dated. Instead, they sound like Marillion- a different, better one.

As for The Flower Kings, I will always have a special place in my heart for Back in the World of Adventures, the first album of theirs released under the Flower Kings name, and Space Revolver, since they were my first exposure to this great band. Space Revolver is a bit quirky for them, and it's a shame they didn't continue in that direction, though the albums they've made since are still excellent.

The only weak spot in their discography to me is the second disc of the double album Flower Power.

Since their style hasn't really changed at all, you're in fine shape getting any of their albums. I think if you like one, you'll like 'em all.

NP: Fates Warning, The Spectre Within (remastered)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd have to say Fugazi is my favorite Marillion album, closely followed by Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws. Script and B-sides also have their moments, but don't equal the other three.

I can't say any of the later stuff I've heard (which isn't all of it) has been as engaging.

"Best Of Both Worlds" is a great place to start. It's a best of with both Fish and H on two CD's. Another older best of is "Six of One Half-Dozen of Another", single disc with both singers.

PAT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks