Marillion on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob M., Sep 20, 2002.

1. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

Don't know how many Marillion fans there are around here, but I thought I'd share some thoughts. I received my order from across the pond containing Shot in the Dark and A Piss-up in Brewery this week, and finished checking them both out tonight.

Shot in the Dark is a concert film, with performances from three shows intercut with interviews and musings from the band members. The performances are great, but the sound and picture quality are so-so at best. The video (presented in non-anamorphic widescreen) was originally shot for a VHS (released back in 2000, I think), and is very soft. I don't think the picture is all that important, but there it is. The audio track (DD2.0), however, is very disappointing. The volume level is very low, and the sound quality ranges from good to somewhat muffled. As I said, though, the perfomances are great. Highlights: "Easter," "Sugar Mice," and "Afraid of Sunlight," and, if you wait through the end credits, a cover of "Abraham, Martin, and John." Also included are several extra tracks, some from the shows in the film, others from in-store and fan club gigs, including a great version of "The Great Escape." Other extras include the EPK for marillion.com and some mildy amusing interview out-takes. Because of the sound quality, I'll recommend this only if you're a pretty big fan.

In the insert for A Piss-up in a Brewery, there's a note that explains the video was shot for internet broadcast and not intended to be released in DVD (this one is full-frame). Looks fine to me, but there only two, maybe three cameras. The sound (again, DD 2.0) on this one, though, is fantastic. This was a very informal, semi-acoustic show; lots of audience interaction and joking around. The perfomances range from very good to simply inspired. The version of the Fish-era "Sugar Mice" is gorgeous (inspired me to change my signature). Other highlihts: "Go," "Beautiful," and a cover of Crowded House's "How Will You Go." I'd recommend this one to any Marillion fan, or anyone looking for an introduction to the band.

Despite the problems with Shot in the Dark, I'm pretty happy with both DVDs. These are Racket Records releases, and are only available through the official Marillion website.

2. andrew markworthy

Also check out the Marillion singles DVD, which is excellent.

What I'd really like is a couple of the Fish-era concerts (I saw them on the Clutching at Straws tour, and they were superb), but chances are slim, I suppose.

3. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Wow, I'm not the only fan here. On the marillion.com online forum, there's a bit of discussion about a lip-synch issue with Shot in the Dark, as some people are reporting problems worse than the DTS Moulin Rouge.
    Personally, I'm waiting until I get more money, as well as official word from the band on the lip-synch problem, before I buy these DVDs, as I already have the original VHS of Shot in the Dark, and I saved the webcast of Piss-Up in a Brewery to my hard drive. The lack of 5.1 sound on the DVDs is very disappointing. They're working on a DVD set of this past year's fan club convention, and I believe they're only doing DD2.0 sound for those, too. [​IMG]

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I don't have those yet (I'm waiting for the 89-95 singles box to become available, then do a huge order), but I've got the EMI singles DVD, and I'm quite happy. The soundtrack on that one is 16/48 PCM stereo, so no worries there. I retired several VHS tapes with that set. [​IMG]
    I'm disappointed that Shot isn't anamorphic, as they obviously went to the trouble to film it 16x9 in the first place. But the huge raft of bonus goodies included is enough to get me to upgrade. (Who am I kidding? I've probably paid for the last two tours. [​IMG])
    I have a feeling that if the singles DVD did well, then we may see EMI put out Live at Lorelei on DVD someday, which should nicely satisfy the need for live Fish-era stuff. (Maybe they'll even put out the whole show, not the edited version released on VHS.)
    Fish also released a video compilation DVD via his site (www.the-company.com) of his solo stuff, but it's only available as PAL at the moment.
    Ryan

5. Michael St. Clair

Count me in for a Fish-era video release. Nothing against the 'new' (really quite old!) lineup but it is not my cup of tea.

6. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

Nice to see there are some other fans about. I forgot to mention that both DVDs are region-free NTSC.

Andrew and/or Ryan: give me some input on the EMI singles DVD. I've never seen any of the videos, and I was afraid these would be low-grade eighties cheese.

7. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Most of the 1980s videos are, in fact, '80s video cheese. While I love them as much as I love Duran Duran, Michael Jackson, and Dire Straight's classics, they're definitely dated. Some of the post-Fish era videos are a bit more contemporary, and not as dated. Easter from 1989 and Cover My Eyes from 1991 both aged particularly well.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Marillion!

I don't have any of the DVDs yet, but will get them at some point.

Don't expect the band to support anything from the Fish era, as they purposefully try to separate themselves from that material.

I just joined the Front Row Club and ordered the first 6 releases. Between the FRC and other music only available from their website, none of it is Fish-era stuff.

But, while I like the Fish stuff, it does sound dated to me and I do much prefer their current material.

Their latest live album, Anorak in the UK, is wonderful. The single-disc version is in stores; the double is available only on-line.

"We came here to see you; my feelings and I..."

NP: Napoleon Murphy Brock, Balls

9. Michael St. Clair

10. Ryan Spaight

11. Michael St. Clair

12. Ryan Spaight