What's new

Margaret Atwood on DVD: The Handmaid's Tale has me looking for more (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I just finished reviewing The Handmaid's Tale from MGM, and this has sparked my curiosity for the other film adaptations of her novels, specifically Surfacing, which I can find no reference to a home video relase of on IMDB. As Surfacing was done by Canadian Claude Jutra, who also did Mon Oncle Antoine another of my favorite Canadian films, I am hoping someone will pick this up, though I've never seen it before. Has anyone seen Surfacing? Was it any good? I'm sure I've seen bits on TV decades ago, but can't remember much, though I do recall an image from underwater if I am recalling correctly.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Ms. Atwood certainly is a marvelous writer. My favorite of her novels is Life Before Man. But given its multiple points of view (think Faulkner's As I Lay Dying), it would be difficult to adapt to the screen.

So I'm longwindedly saying she is somewhat underrepresented on the big screen.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Jeff, that was a great review. I saw it several years back, when it first hit VHS. I remember thinking that it looked like it had been cut up, like something was missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks