What's new

HBO Max Mare of Easttown (HBO) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, he was planning to kill his brother to help keep that secret, that's still pretty sociopathic.
If he was planning to kill his brother to protect himself, I would agree. But he was doing it to protect his son.

Look, the dude groomed his teenage niece (or cousin once removed? Not sure exactly how the Rosses and McMenamins were related) and then repeatedly engaged in statutory rape. So John Ross is definitely not a good dude. But I don't think he's psychopath.

One character's actions that still confuse me are Dylan's. Burning the journals, and putting a gun in Jess's face were really all just so that his family would be able to get custody of DJ? All this after it is already known by everyone that he isn't the father? Seems the writers wanted to make him look suspicious to the end but that ruined the character to the point that I don't think his redemption scene with Lori worked very well either.
I do think that this was one of the more manipulative misdirects. I think the motivation holds up, given what we'd seen in the hospital, but the staging definitely felt geared to mislead the audience.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I watched the first episode and it seems good. A reunion of sorts with Guy Pierce from the very good Mildred Pierce miniseries of about ten years ago. Seems grim and gritty, but I'll keep going for now. Thanks for the replies to my earlier post.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Well, I've now watched all the episodes of Mare. Wonderful work all around, but especially from Kate Winslet. I couldn't quite bring myself to believe in the "surprise" at the end, but otherwise I was impressed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Glad you liked it.

there was some things along the way that hinted that the boy did this. Subtle but there.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yeah, I was catching the hints, it's just that the particular actor they chose for that role didn't maybe quite seem like the kind of person who would go and confront someone with a gun.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There is a pen article that explains the gun timeline and it makes sense.
The gun was removed and returned the same night but if you missed a bit of dialog then it seems like the gun TL doesn’t make sense.

“But is there another plot hole with regards to Ryan’s gun? After all, Glen says he noticed it was missing and later returned, but Ryan returns the gun a few hours after the murder. So is that a plot hole? Or what?

Well, no. There is no gun plot hole in Mare of Easttown. If you go back and listen to Glen’s story again, this is what he literally says to Mare: “Do you remember the morning you came over for my granddaughter and the prowler? Well I’d gone out to the shed and got the gun, so I know I had it then…But that night I heard a noise out in the shed, and I went out to get it and it was gone.”

Glen knew he had the gun the morning of Erin McMenamin’s death and when he checked the shed that night, the gun was gone. The noise Glen heard was likely Ryan leaving the shed behind. He didn’t check the shed again until a few days before his conversation with Mare in the finale. That means that Glen noticed the gun was gone in the few hours Ryan had it. He simply didn’t realize it had been returned until much later.

So, no, there is no gun plot hole in Mare of Easttown. At least that’s one thing Glen Carroll, revealed of affairs at funerals, got right.”

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Finally catching up on Mare. Good fancy Jesus, I feel like I should cancel myself for being so well-off and effectively taking a tourist trip through this absolute goddamn shithole.

Don't get me wrong, riveting stuff. Winslet is great; she single-handedly justifies anyone using a vape on screen. Does she at least, I dunno, eat a salad at any point? I'm getting clogged arteries just watching her (and everyone else's) onscreen diet.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently finished watching MOE. Excellent mini-series, and one of KW's best roles - right up there with Heavenly Creatures (1994), Hideous Kinky (1998) & The Reader (2008). Though I know KW has certainly travelled all over the world & is an international movie star - she convincingly transformed herself into an unremarkable middle-aged woman whose "glory days" are long behind her & who will probably never leave left this small East Coast town she was born in.

This was a well-done & grim mystery/thriller/crime drama. The crimes against the young women were obviously ripping apart the community, and everyone was looking at the local LE to solve these cases.

There has been a lot of talk on the accents in the series. KW definitely does an amazing job affecting this "local" accent. However, though I know the series is supposed to take place in PA, as someone who grew up in the Baltimore, Maryland area - this definitely sounds much more like a MD accent. Though I admittedly have spent very little time in PA - so maybe they have a similar accent in some areas there.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
To add to my last post:

-The most intense scene here was towards the end,
when Mare & Detective Colin Zabel were questioning the guy who had kidnapped the two women & had them locked up in his basement (though the detectives didn't know this yet). This entire sequence leading up to the shoot-out strongly reminded me of the penultimate scene in Silence of the Lambs, when Clarice Starling was questioning Buffalo Bill in his house, right before she realized who he was.

-I was shocked when Zabel was abruptly killed by the kidnapper, who got the drop on him; I definitely did not see that coming ahead of time.

-The kidnapper seemed like he was based on AC, the real-life criminal who had three women locked up in his house for years in Cleveland - before this was discovered in 2013.

-Also very impressed by the rest of the cast, including Jean Smart, Guy Pearce, Even Peters, David Denman (I remember him as Roy in The Office - LOL), etc.

Being a Pat Benatar fan & '80's music aficionado in general, really appreciated the cover of We Belong (sung by Angourie Rice) featured in the finale:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Apparently Season 2 is filming right now.

There is a local Philly sports talk guy who is also an actor and lives in the area.
He says they are filming season two currently.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

There is a local Philly sports talk guy who is also an actor and lives in the area.

I assume this is the show:

New series from MoE’s creator, potentially set in the same universe..

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I assume this is the show:

New series from MoE’s creator, potentially set in the same universe..
I saw a blurb on the scroll of a local Philadelphia newscast that Ruffalo was seen in Delaware County this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks