What's new

Marcus Welby and Medical Center anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
I would really like to see these 2 early 1970's medical dramas released to dvd in the near future.

Has anyone heard any news or rumors about either of them making it to dvd?

Thanks!

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
With Marcus Welby being owned by Universal, this is very touch-and-go. If it was to ever come out, I wouldn't be surprised to see it join Universal's growing list of "one and done" properties (Baretta, Kojak, Adam-12 etc.)

As for "Medical Center", since it is an MGM property, it's not looking promising.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know, I posted about Marcus Welby about two or so years ago. Got a few responses and the thread died out. And now you post about this show.

Frankly, I would like to see it on DVD. In its early years, the drama was really good -- though in the series' final two or so years it had become something of a soap opera (though a decent one). And, of course, I liked James Brolin's motorcycling ways (he started on the series riding a single-carb Triumph twin, then traded to a Yamaha XS650, a Honda CB500 Four, and, in the series' final couple of years, he was riding a legendary Kawasaki Z-1 903. I love that sort of thing).

Mary_P

Second Unit
There was talk about Marcus Welby a couple of years ago -- Universal put out a promotional piece in May 2004 about how they were going all gung-ho into the DVD market, and listed dozens of shows, including Welby. Some of those shows have come to pass; some have not (yet). I believe they were talking about titles they were looking at over the next five years, so I guess it's possible some of these might still happen.
I'd probably buy a season or two of Welby, and definitely some Medical Center -- Chad Everett was the original "Dr. McDreamy" in my book....! :D It's a shame MGM/Warner doesn't seem to be doing much with their older titles.

Mary_P

Second Unit
:angry:, indeed. If they ever decide to release season sets of "Maverick," I'm so there on release day. Not at all interested in the 3-ep discs, and that pretty much goes for any title. I'm pretty annoyed that they seem to be going that route with "Night Court" as well, rather than a full Season 2 release. Grrr, argh.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
They wouldn't quite constitute a priority with me, but I can see myself getting at least the debut seasons of both "Welby" and "Medical Center," were they to come out. What I'd really like, though, would be "Ben Casey." I preferred its rather stark atmosphere, and hard-edged scripts. And, its nifty theme music... can't walk into a hospital without having it come to mind. I always enjoyed "Ben Casey," even though the 'medical' genre, as a whole, was never one of my favorites. Oh, and what about "The Nurses?" Is that one forgotten or what? I've seen only two episodes, but they were very, very strong. I'd love to see more.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I've never seen "Ben Casey," even in reruns, but I know it was hugely popular at the time it was on. Might be one of those things I'd at least rent a disc or two to check out.

As long as we're talking about older doctor shows, I'd also be interested in the Doctors segments of "The Bold Ones" (but more interested in the Senator and Lawyers segments), and a one-season CBS series from 1970 called "The Interns." I don't hold out great hopes for seeing any of these, but, hey, I can dream, can't I? Which is about all I can do ... besides voting for them on TV Shows on DVD, of course....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Charles H said:
The Warner Archive is now taking pre-orders for the 7/12 release of MEDICAL CENTER.
I noticed full Season for $49.95 and not a split set. Obviously a price break from them now using Dual Layer DVD-r's and requiring less discs for a full season. Hopefully this pattern continues for all future TV releases from the archives.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Don't really remember ever seeing this, but it has lots of famous faces guesting. hink it might be worth checking this one out for me, and cross some fingers for more even better TV goodies to come from Warner Bros/WAC.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It appears my order has been delayed. I just received notification that Medical Center release is out of stock. I was looking forward to watching this series. I watched some episodes with older Chad Everett when he did some episodes as lexi sterling's father.
Has anyone watch the set? I am curious to understand the quality of the episodes.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i watched an episode from Medical Center the other night and it was the first time i ever watched the show. The show has some simliarities to marcus welby.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Chad Everett of Medical Center sadly just passed away, he was 75. RIP. Wish we'd one day see Hagen, the short-lived 1980 crime series he did with Arthur Hill come out, but it's Fox so that chance is nil unless they start down the burn road.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
Chad Everett of Medical Center sadly just passed away, he was 75. RIP. Wish we'd one day see Hagen, the short-lived 1980 crime series he did with Arthur Hill come out, but it's Fox so that chance is nil unless they start down the burn road.
Hey Henry,
I like to see more Medical Center and Marcus Welby released along with Trapper John MD down the road. I like the medical drama even though some of the techniques are dated, but the operations and processes is similar today.
BTW: I watch the other night the episode were Chad Everett's character died on Melrose Place. It was interesting as it was night or day before he actually died.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
younger1968 said:
Hey Henry,
I like to see more Medical Center and Marcus Welby released along with Trapper John MD down the road. I like the medical drama even though some of the techniques are dated, but the operations and processes is similar today.
BTW: I watch the other night the episode were Chad Everett's character died on Melrose Place. It was interesting as it was night or day before he actually died.
I enjoy the old medical shows as well. They rarely really did much for patients. You might hear a line like..."If he makes it through the night he should be out of danger". As a nurse I have to ask, "..and just what are you going to do for the patient between now and tomorrow"? The answer is probably something like, 'We will watch him very closely and pray".
I think it was the late 60's that emergency medical personnel were starting to be trained to perform various life-saving measures in the field. If you look at the old shows, ambulance workers just transported you--and in real life you arrived DOA. At this point studies showed that certain measures had to happen within the first few minutes of an event like heart attack, respiratory arrest, diabetic emergencies to name a few, or it was too late.
I have to smile when I watch a drama and someone is shot. Someone says, "Get a doctor or get an ambulance". So while your rapidly hemorrhaging to death you wait for an ambulance who will do nothing but maybe put oxygen on you. It probably was a miricle if you survived and that was probably because your wounds were probably not that severe to begin with.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chad Everett has a memorable turn playing a physical education enthusiast in an episode of Route 66's fourth season called "come home greta inger gruenschaffen," which I just watched last week. He was obviously in top shape, but playing against his matinee idol look and physique as a geek - meaning he also wore thick-rimmed glasses and acted flustered around the woman he had a crush on (Tammy Grimes). Quite a switch for him. So sad for his beautiful actress wife of 45 years, Shelby Grant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks