March Madness Surprise

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dick White, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

I came close to paying the $60 for DirecTV's March Madness coverage, but decided to take my chances on being able to see the games I wanted to watch, since only the early rounds were at risk.

My local CBS affiliate has three digital channels, one HD and two SD. They normally carry the same thing on their analog channel, HD channel and one of the SD channels and have weather rader on the other SD channel. Last night, they were running basketball on all three digital channels, with as many as three different games going. Gotta love that!

2. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I know here in Raleigh there was a big promotion by the BS affiliate that broadcast Tourney games in HD at no charge. Maybe its a regional thing.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

A lot of CBS stations aired the games of local/regional interest from various venues on the analog channel and all of the games from Kansas City (the only venue with HDTV) on the digital channel.

Stations are currently required to simulcast 50% of their NTSC content on the digital channel. On April 1, it goes to 75%, and on April 1 of next year it goes to 100%. So, unless they set up a SD subchannel to handle the simulcast requirement, they will not be able to continue doing separate games on each channel every year.

4. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Does anyone know if this week's games are all in HD?

Chris

5. JohnFF

JohnFF Agent

Only the St. Louis games will be in HD.