What's new

Directors March Madness Movie Tourney (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World

Ghost World (once again more a vote against Eternal Sunshine than an endorsement of Ghost World)

George, please see Eternal Sunshine so I can actually enjoy reading one of your "rip it to shreds for being weird" reviews. Of course you'd probably end up loving it just to spite me. :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Two Towers advances 3-6
Ghost world advances 4-3

too bad the best film of the contest and the most perfect film of the last ten or twenty years is now out, that's a massive upset.

it wouldn't be so upsetting if it hadn't lost to what I had felt was the weakest film of the 64 we're using, and now I really think its the most overrated as well.

ROUND 2, DAY 3

Royal Tenenbaums
vs
Amelie

Spirited Away
vs
Mulhullond Dr.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Amelie

I might love it, but I guarantee you it wouldn't be to spite you, or for any reason other than my honest opinion of the film.

The thing I can't figure out is, if it's so weird, in the way I'd rip to shreds, why isn't it in your top 10? :)

It's on my list to see (along with 901 other films) so I'll get to it, but I'm not sure when.

In the meantime, I could rip Royal Tennenbaums (where's that barfing smilie when you need it?) to tide you over. :)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Because I don't find it weird George, just full of New Age bs "philosophy" and with tons of CGI standing in for honest dialogue. It's also the movie where Kirsten Dunst began to supplant Renee Zellweger as "most annoying actress alive", which came to full fruition in Elizabethtown. (and with Renee's non-annoying performance in Cinderella Man)

Now Gozu on the other hand, now that's weird! I think I'd pay to be in the same room with you watching it. :emoji_thumbsup:

The Royal Tenenbaums

Spirited Away
(damn that was a tough decision.)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well since I still consider Renee Zellweger to be, by far, the most annoying actress alive (I have yet to see a film with her in it that I didn't hate), that doesn't exactly inspire me to elevate my viewing of the film.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's funny, because there is nobody more anti "new-age philosophy" than me and I love it. Plus, there is virtually no CGI. In fact. I only saw two or possibly three shots with any. Everything else was done in camera. The DP just knew what she was doing and how to make it appear like CGI. Please, give me some examples and I will tell you how they were done.

Anyway...

Amélie

I have Spirited Away but still haven't waatched it.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
The Royal Tenenbaums

Mulholland Drive

That first match-up pits my two favorite films in the entire tournament against each other. Out of deference to George, I'll go with Wes Anderson's masterpiece. ;)

BTW, what is it about Zellwegger? I can't stand her either, but my dad says not to be so vicious, because he thinks there's something wrong with her.

There certainly is.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why all this hatred of Renée? Is it based mostly on her roles in Cold Mountain (though there is plenty else to dislike about it) and Chicago, which I'm convinced most straight males are absurdly terrified of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks