What's new

March 2018 event, iPads, SE refresh? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Pretty weak all around, other than pencil support for regular iPad and a slight power boost to A10 (or did last year's already have any a10?).

Once again, schools get multi-user support and families do not. Lame.

No pro-motion. No smart keyboard connector. No FaceID (expected).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Seriously, do not buy this. Wait for the new 9.7" iPad Pro at WWDC, presumably
Viticci - The new 9.7” iPad does NOT have:
- ProMotion
- Wide color P3 display
- True Tone
- Smart Connector
- OIS
- 4K video
- Second-gen Touch ID

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/27/...ad-photos-video-hands-on-education-event-2018

The new iPad is very familiar — the same basic 9.7-inch screen size, bezels, TouchID sensor, button placement, and cameras. The big new features are Apple Pencil support, which works the same as the iPad Pro, and an update to the A10 processor. As with the previous iPad, it has 10 hours of battery life, an 8 megapixel rear camera that supports 1080p video, a front-facing Facetime HD camera, supports optional LTE, and weighs one pound. Interestingly, there is no Smart Keyboard connector, which seems like a big omission

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think you might he missing who this new iPad EDU version is aimed at Sam. For the price range and intended users, this is a very nice iPad. For someone with higher needs, the Pro is worth waiting for for sure! :). I’m all for an iPad that could take some money away from Google and the Chromebook world. That’s just my first impressions from the keynote today. I hope this helps Apple regain some of its past Education glory. But I can see some people who just needs an iPad for email and web surfing, this is a good option. The Pencil is a delightful bonus.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This isn't JUST aimed at the student buyer. The iPad itself is still a major part of the Apple ecosystem, expecting that 'normal' buyers would eschew the iPad for the Pro is off the mark, I think. Average people are going to buy regular iPads, not pros. And they will be missing a LOT. And the Pros are going to do a victory lap of even more new features in June that these base models won't get for possibly years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPad ordered. 32GB, WiFi. Hoping it arrives on time, and before my next trip.

I wish I hadn't broken my iPad 5th Gen. But c'est la vie. At least when I break an iPad, it's when new iPads are coming out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Seriously, do not buy this. Wait for the new 9.7" iPad Pro at WWDC, presumably
Nope. The iPad Pro is basically double the price of the "iPad": It's an extra $320 for a thinner bezel and slightly better screen. The missing features are niceties, not must-ities.

Nothing against the iPad Pro. Nothing against those who want to spend up for it. But for me, for web and Netflix, it's sensible to not spend an extra $300. That will get spent on board games or vacations or any other number of things I can burn spare money on.

I'd encourage anyone wanting an iPad to buy this model over the Pro, unless they are really a gadget person and just like buying tech for the sake of tech, or they have a distinct use for it. Or if you're in the place where $300 vs $600 for a gadget doesn't matter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nope. The iPad Pro is basically double the price of the "iPad": It's an extra $320 for a thinner bezel and slightly better screen. The missing features are niceties, not must-ities.

Did you buy the Pencil? If not you are probably better off buying last year's iPad for $250.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Didn’t buy the pencil.

I quickly checked Apple’s website and didn’t see older 9.7” models for sale. And nothing appealing in the returns.

Where do you see iPad 5 for $250? Can’t find it in Apple Store App either.

N/M found it at BestBuy :)
Also found $25 GC with purchase of new iPad. Going to cancel Apple order and buy from BB, get new one in effect for $305.

And I get to pick it up Friday instead of waiting for shipping Monday.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Picked up the new iPad about an hour ago. The current iOS setup process is so easy, especially compared to a year or two ago. Boot device, bring iPhone next to it, and restore from backup. iPad is usable in about 15 minutes and will have everything downloaded an hour later. And everything’s just there, all my settings and logins. Easy peasy.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dave,

I don't know if you are a Comcast customer, but if you are there is an offer where you can purchase a 128GB iPad for $120 -- $5 per month for 24 months on your cable bill. My very old iPad 2 died and I wasn't going to replace it since we just use it when we travel. However, at that price it was an easy decision to get a new one.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Did you buy the Pencil? If not you are probably better off buying last year's iPad for $250.
Disagree- far better CPU (gives it extra year(s) of iOS support) & camera, by itself worth the extra $70. Pencil, or as yet not released 3rd party equivalents can always be bought in the future

Why would a non-artist use a pencil? Ability to use in Pages to mark papers, etc, etc

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At $250 vs $330, I’d have to think hard about what to buy, especially upgrading early because of breaking my iPad.

But with the $25 GC for pre-ordering, I sated my techno-lust for only $55 more.

The Pencil is intriguing, but I have no use for it. And at $100 it’s not worth taking a flyer on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks