marble sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Yury, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Yury

Yury Auditioning

gday all!
    what do we think about marble sub woofer?
    I'll make marble satellites soon.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Faux finish? If not, real marble will be quite heavy.

3. Mitch N

Mitch N Stunt Coordinator

Not anything new, and in the highend retail world there are such a thing as marble enclosure speakers. I touched a pair once [​IMG]

Retail price was $30,000 US each for some rather large towers. Of course this was many years ago. A quick search on Google came up with many similar hits of expensive products made from marble and synthetic marble.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The material a subwoofer cabinet is made from doesn't matter; as long as the Fs of the cabinet, is out of the passband where the driver is operating.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Heed Thomas' words. You can build a subwoofer cabinet out of solid-core plywood (you don't need to use MDF or marble or concrete, for the reason Thomas stated), and you can actually move it without a two-wheeler.
    Now, for main speaker cabinets, marble "could" be of benefit.

7. Yury

Yury Auditioning

ok friends! it's not my invention. it's just a knowledge, which I got in the university.
    marble has an ideal damping factor, logarithmic decrement.
    not wood, not any other...
    let's put your glass of Vodka to your favourite wood loudspeaker. do you hear the sound? boooommmm! -[​IMG]
    let's fling it to the marble thing..... silvery peals, isn't it?
    the next reason for use marble - is aesthetics. should you bring it to your sweet home - it's change appartment inside. it's almost shine. it's not aggressive, it's kind and precious. should I play "Dazed and Confused" Led Zeppelin - I couldn't hear deeper bass before...... it's fantastic sound and mysterious view...
    you can find several photo in my web page.
    it's my son near the Alto, not me. he is designer of my web site. he is an Art Academy entrant, now he have the tests.
    let's say him good luck!
    thank you.
    ok. excuse my English. I love all of you.
    the goal of this post is:
    I friendly ask you about new ideas , new disign, new conception for marble cabinets for next models. let's discuss it please. more fantasy. and see you.

8. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

A correction to the site BryanZ tried to post nOrh

I love you too Yury.[​IMG]

How are these made? Is it a big block of marble that is boared out?

How a bout a marble pyramid. That would be cool.

9. Arthur_King

Arthur_King Stunt Coordinator

Once again, Like I tell all my friends getting into HiFi. I say this regarding high end silver/monster/gold/etc cables. I say this about Spikes on speakers, I say this about levitating platforms (skipping due to vibrations not withstanding). The fact is that until you get your regular plain jane stereo/HT system up to the 90th percentile (ie. good quality components, tuned properly, decent (not the penultimate) cables, etc) you will gain very little from these "uber" tricks, ideas, concepts.

These super-highend type concepts (marble speakers, silver/gold cables, little bits of wood placed around the room, green marker around your CD's, etc) are only going to get you from 94% to 98%, or from 90% to 93%, they are not going to get you from 40% to 45 or 50%. So, yes, if I have all my ducks in a row, I may benefit from going from double layered MDF to marble for my enclosure. I may benefit from levitating my Receiver and putting spikes on my speakers, etc.

But get to 90% first. Unless you're looking for bragging rights or a longer P*n*s.

And if I wanted that longer P*n*s I would build one of these. http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
    Daffy Arthur King
    with the brain of a duck

10. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The nOrh "subwoofer" (actually guys it's really a woofer [​IMG] ), is slabs of marble glued together.

It uses a single 8" driver so it can create "fast bass".... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Thomas! Jon! Friends, Romans, Countrymen! WE have here a NEW, and perhaps unique measurement for audiophile speakers!! I see the gestation of a new high end speaker magazine! We have the ultimate test! I shall quit my corporate day job and start reviewing speakers immediately. When I put my glass (whatever happened to shots?) of Vodka to a loudspeaker, I'll pass judgement according to the number of propagated waves passing from the center of the glass to the sides, while the glass is held firmly intact to the side of the D.U.T. cabinet.

"We're in the money, we're in the money...."

Yury, seriously, welcome! It's great to read your posts. Don't worry about your English - you should hear my non-existant Russian. Tell us more.

Thomas: You crack me up! Elapsed Time is where it's at! Fast, faster, fastest.

12. Yury

Yury Auditioning

Gentlemen!
    thanks for reaction. special thanks to Hank for healthy sarcasm. I hope we're think somthing else, exept kidding.
    of course , I knew about nOrh and lot of other very interesting systems. I'm realy admiring.
    Dear Lee Carbray. Alto is the small one among my Stradivarius line. it's not DIY, couse it made several masters. we're sell it. but I wont offer it for forum members. I'm just ask you about new ideas only and I'll be able to explain any detail.
    so, Alto made, using a special type of marble.it's 6 plate thickness is about 2 centimeter. Alto has weight 50 kg.
    earliest sub's we was made sphere inside, using special foam. now, we're do it without it, couse it's not necessary.
    long time we was made experiment, and now we're have optimal.
    dear Arthur! I'm not use any silver/monster/gold/etc cables. and I have not P*n*s troble either. -[​IMG] it's ok.
    of course, I've use expencive cables and connectors, but without fanaticism.
    Dear Mitch! how are you in San Deigo?!
    Alto is not expencive sub woofer. I'm not sale it directly to customers. usualy I sell it to my agents. they show price about 2000 EURO only. I can make a present it for you, exept material cost. it's about $*** only. [​IMG]
    I make sub woofers on customers demand only. and price is variable, depend of driver, color of marble, type of crossover. so, let me know your opinion else please.

13. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Hank,

You're closer than you think, but it's actually acceleration not 'speed' that's important .... :wink:

14. RodN

RodN Stunt Coordinator

Yury,

Nice subs, I wonder if you have any pictures of one in Black Marble??? Now that would look nice!

15. Yury

Yury Auditioning

RodN, you know, black, green, brown colors of Alto is not suitable with appartment. it's not pure color. therefore I show this one only. but I can to place photo of black Alto ASAP

16. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

what am I missing.....the thread reads as if there is
    a picture of one of Yury's subs.....if there is a picture, I missed it.

17. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Cam, check out Yuri's homepage.

18. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

AHHHHH,

I dont have one, therefore dont know to check....lol

thanks

19. Yury

Yury Auditioning

sorry. I can't show URL there, couse I'm new member of forum.
    w w w.artmaydan.org.ua/stradivarius.html (delete unnecessary blanks for it).

20. Yury

Yury Auditioning

hello again!
    finally I find the way for satelites conception.
    it should be marble front panel and stand, mahogany back side and on each side. Focal coaxial 2 way woofer. open upside disign.
    I have not photo yet you can see 3D Max picture only
    w w w.artmaydan.org.ua/satelites.html
    good luck!