What's new

Marble or granite for enclosures? (1 Viewer)

Rob Bird

Agent
Has anyone ever built an enclosure out of marble or granite? I was wondering how difficult it is to work with. I am considering building an enclosure from MDF, and then facing it with some granite or marble tiles. I made a few inquiries about building the enclosure entirely out of granite or marble, but the shops I spoke to wanted FAR too much for the work (thousands).

My plan was an inner layer of 1" MDF, dampening material, and then a granite tile for the skin.
Thanks,
Rob

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
This is just an idea, but my folks recently had their kitchen refinished (granite countertops). The shop that did the work just throws out the cutouts that they do for the sink and range, and they have stacks of them lying outside the shop to be thrown away. They are roughly 18" by 30" and maybe 3/4" or 1" thick.

So out of any one kitchen job, they'll have two matching pieces of granite that are rough-edged but finished (shiny) on one side. They might have three if the folks had an island sink as well. You could use these pieces for just the top of an enclosure, or find two sets that go well together (black granite and something else) for a contrasting look on an entire cabinet.

It's just a thought on how to keep the cost down, and you'd still have to find a way to cut/edge it. But the raw material should be free if the dimensions of the pieces work for you.

Yury

Auditioning
hello Rob Bird!
its' nice idea. you're right. marble has the best damping factor.
let's make it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks