1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marat/Sade (MGM)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

I was just wondering if anyone picked up the new MGM release of Marat/Sade. Strangely, I can't seem to find it anywhere at the moment.
    I know this was put out previously by Image in a full frame (I assume Open Matte) format, but I avoided buying that one. How does MGM's version compare in terms of picture/sound quality?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I haven't seen the the new MGM disc either, but I do own the original Image disc.
    The Image disc looks pretty bad and I honestly cannot imagine MGM putting out a disc as bad as that one was (even with all their recent 'problems').
    The MGM disc would definitely have to be an improvement!
    ------------------
    DVDBeaver & My DVD Collection

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Would you believe that with all the discs that my local B-buster doesn't have, they actually do have MARAT/SADE for rent. I'll have to pick it up. The old VHS release was pretty near unwatchable because of muddy sound.

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I just received this DVD but I haven't looked at it yet. I will check it out tonight and let you know.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Well I checked out the movie last night and I would definitely go out and get it. The transfer is very nice, sharp & clear and a major improvement on the pan & scan laser I own. MGM has done a fine job & I love that DVD cover!

6. Gerard Priori

Gerard Priori Stunt Coordinator

This is one of my favorite films. I have the Image release, which being fullscreen opens up the top and bottom matte while still managing to crop quite a bit from the sides. The new MGM release is superior in every way. The widescreen framing finally restores the composition, the colors and contrast levels are better than the Image version, and the sound, while mono, is much better than Image's "stereo" version, which has an annoying reverb added that makes the dialoge difficult to understand. The MGM disc doesn't contain English subtitles, but it is closed captioned (unlike the Image version which had neither subtitles nor captions).
    -Jerry

7. Rain

Rain Producer

Thanks, Gerard.
    I picked it up yesterday, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. One thing I did notice, which is sure to piss off a few people, is that, unlike MGMs other recent releases, it doesn't appear to be anamorphic, at least based on the packaging.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.