Marantz x200 Problems: Dead or alive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Just curious if you guys have heard anything else on the problems on Marantz receivers, have the Marantz guys ironed things out yet? You know... S-vid problems, audio dropouts, etc. The price/features of the 5200/6200 sure is tempting... and they sounded GREAT at the local guy too!

2. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Top, before I pick up a 6200 this weekend!

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Everything seems fine now, though if you have a really cheap DVD player the vertical hold may still go out of whack with bright flashes (depending on the brand, i.e. Toshiba SD1600). A Mid-level or higher DVD player isn't a problem (even Toshiba), in my experience.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have had no problems with my 6200 over the last 6 months or so. Better check to see that wherever you are getting it from is not backordered, as I have seen places that still are waiting for the "fixed" units.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hey ChrisAG, have you done any testing of digital cable connected CD/DVD players to see if the beginning of CD tracks are cut off anymore?

6. John Garcia

John
    Audio drop outs are not something I think they will "fix". I was at a friend's house the other day, and he had basically the same dropout with a Yamaha receiver and a ??(Sony I think) DVD player. I have no audio dropout with my CD player via coax digital. I was sick Monday, and ran my system for almost 6hrs straight, not one dropout from my CD.

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

ChrisPC,

I haven't tried that with the new 6200 yet, partly because I have my room mate's old Sony CD changer hooked up to the analog inputs, and it sounds much better than the Toshiba SD1600 via coax. I think that Toshiba is second-rate gear - the DVD picture is OK, but it produces the vertical sync problem with the 6200. I replaced it with a Toshiba SD2300 which doesn't produce the sync issue, but I have not tried CDs with it yet. I'll give it a try this weekend.

Incidentally, does anyone know how the 6200's internal DAC sits in terms of quality? As I mentioned above, the SD1600 didn't sound as nice as an analogue Sony, so is this the fault of the Marantz or Toshiba? Since the signal is being converted to analogue by the Marantz, is it to blame for the quality difference? Maybe it's better to buy a decent CD or DVD player and use the analogue inputs when you have a mid-level receiver.

8. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Well... this will be mated to a Marantz DV4200 DVD player, so maybe Marantz's stuff work better with each other then with Toshiba gear. Thanks for the info.. I feel better about the 6200 now.

9. John Garcia

John
    My CD player is a Marantz CC4000, hooked via both Coax and Analog. I could hear basically no difference, and though I had no dropouts via coax, I am using it via analog now. I'm guesssing the DACs are similar if not the same. (I don't know where they sit in terms of quality) Sounds great, but the CDP has some stupid features I am not pleased with, mostly related to the display and usability, not sound reproduction.

I have not heard great things about the Marantz DVD players. A friend bought one when he bought his SR19EX and it died right away. It was replaced, and seems to be doing fine, but that made me hold off on getting a DVD from them. I am currently using a Sony DVPS560D for movies.

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Interesting. Well, the DAC's are a useless feature to me in terms of CD's then. If CD players have good enough DAC's, then I guess thats ok.