What's new

Marantz...why do European models differ? (1 Viewer)

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I've recently ordered the SR7300, before Marantz put any info up on the American website they had the info up on the European and I've noticed some differences now that info for both is available...

Main difference is chassis color Europe=Silver, US=Black. Why don't we have the option? I'd prefer the silver, anyone know how to get a silver chassis?

Power differs by 5w/channel. Why? Aren't these essentially the same units? Is it due to their electrical outlets running a different current?

There were some other minor differences too.

Anybody have some input here?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Same question as mine on the non-Nth American receiver thread.
Same response too :frowning:

Well, I was curious with the color issue myself. I just sent a message to Marantz and Yamaha. If they reply, I'll post their answer to the different color question. I beleive Denon also has different color European models. I think I'll send them a message as well.

Ian Wilson

Agent
It's not just color they differ on, it's features as well. I bought a Denon AVP-8000 in the States a few years ago. It was Denons top of the line processor - the US model got a tuner and the European model the AVP-A1 did not.

Ian

DanielSmi

Second Unit
The european models don't have tuners. The pioneer 49tx european model ax-10 doesn't have a tuner and overseas version of the 5803 doesn't have a tuner either. That's because people over there are really against having one in there since they add distortion to the signal. People over hear don't make such a big fuss so they add it in for convenience. So actually the overseas versions are integrated amps instead of receivers, because receivers have tuners and integrated amps don't. So theintegrated amp is of higher quality.

Daniel Smith

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Chris, I wouldn't be able to answer that. It's the same idea that separates are better than an all-in-one. One of the reasons is that since the components aren't all bunched together they won't interfer with each other as much, if at all. Tuners are known to be very noisy components.

Daniel Smith

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I'd say the tuner section would be removed to reduce cost just as Sony has removed the 2nd room options, 12V triggers and IR inputs from our version (STR-VA333ES) of the STR-DA4ES - also, it is only available in gold not black :angry:. Other receivers we have down here lack the video switching (especially component) that is on the Nth American models.
All the HT processing circuitry would be at least as noisy as a tuner.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Excactly Craig, and when you take the components out and separate them they won't interfer with each other. It's why Denon has the direct and then pure direct setting in their receivers where they cut of power to the video section, front panel display, and digital audio section if you are playing an analog audio source. if you use a digital audio source it will turn on the digital section, of course, and turn of the analog section. This is so the other unecessary sections won't interfer with the necessary processing (analog, digital, whatever) section, and won't add noise to the signal so it's in it's purest possible form. Some people think it's a great idea but I've never heard it.

Daniel Smith

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Actually, the Marantz model I'm speaking of does have a tuner integrated. See it here Link Removed
As for the other brands I'm not sure about the tuners.
Still like that silver...

Well, Yamaha got back to me on the color issue. I wasn't interested in asking about other different features. I am only curious about the color. This is the message I sent:

I just have a question, how come North American A/V receivers are mostly black, while other models available in different areas are available in goldish/silvery color? Just curious.

Here is the full response:

Dear Dereck
North Americans prefer Black. Very few people want to buy Gold or Silver finish.
Regards
Daniel Dame

North American's prefer black? I must be one of the few that would like a Gold or Silver finish. What is everyone else's preference?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
As you found out, it's a decision dictated by market research. However if you want the other color(s) consider writing either singly or as a group to the companies. They get enough requests, perhaps they'll respond favorably.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
You get a lot more noise from the floresant display on the front of the unit than you do from the tuner, Why did Rotels PSC985 not have a display at all ????

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Well, I've figured as much...marketing research. But why not at least offer an option. Heck they might even be able to charge a small premium for a color difference.

I'm going to write to Marantz (can't find an email address for them) and see if they say a color change would be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks