Marantz vs Yamaha for movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Since I have owned a Yamaha 2200 before but not a Marantz HT receiver (I'm thinking of the 7200 or 8200), I was wondering how they compare for movies.

Has anyone owned both and have an opinion on them? I understand the Marantz may be better for music but is it lacking in the HT area compared to the Yamaha?

Thanks.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Joe:

I think the units are more similar than dissimilar. You'll read/hear that the Marantz has an edge in music and the Yamaha an edge in theater. I think these categorizations are overblown: both units do a respectable job for music and theater.

--AM

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Yamaha for movies, Marantz for music.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

5. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

My Yamaha RX-V1300 plays both movies and music very well. I wonder how one could tell if it didn't?

6. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I have never owned a Yamaha receiver so I can't give an opinion about that specific unit but I have both the Denon 3802 and the Marantz 8200 and The Marantz is better with music and movies, maybe not because Marantz is better but simply because The marantz 8200 is a better receiver. the marantz' performance brings me much closer to my great sounding local theater. Maybe this can help.

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

If music is more important to you than movies, stick with the Marantz. I used to be a Yamaha fan but since comparing the SR6200 with a Yamaha RX-V1000 on the same speakers I much prefer Marantz. I don't know about HT, but some people say the Yamaha's "enhanced" DSP modes give it an edge in separation.

8. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I believe I may have narrowed my receiver search down to the Marantz 8200 and the Rotel RSX-1055. Looks like they are both available around $1,200 - $1,300.