marantz vs. sharp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew r. katz, Jun 12, 2002.

1. andrew r. katz

andrew r. katz Auditioning

after much research on projectors, it appears that dlp gives the most bang for the buck(any contrary opinions are welcome). many demos have lead me to the marantz VP-12S1 and the sharp XV-Z9000U. my untrained eye sees a slightly more vibrant picture in the marantz. both projectors had the same components at the same settings connected to them. any opinion on which direction to turn or overall dlp advice would be very helpful.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Andrew:

Those are both excellent projectors. Have you had a chance to look at the JVC G150CLz yet?

3. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,
    DLP is definitely a good choice today for front projection - ususally much brighter than LCD, and always more detailed. I have not seen the Marantz, but I can tell you that the Sharp is an excellent projector with an awesome picture. Some things to check when comparing the two are: whether the Marantz has a 16:9 DLP chip or not (the Sharp does, this is vital for 16:9 HDTV although it will limit the size of your 4:3 images), what the brightness measurement is (measure in lumens, the Sharp's is 800), and what the contrast ratio is (I think the Sharp's is 1000:1).

My guess is that both use the same DLP chip from Texas Instruments, so look at the lumens rating and the contrast rating, but more important than a bunch of numbers is which one looks better! Hopefully you've been able to see both of them in the same room, on the same screen. If you like the way the Marantz looks, buy the Marantz... but as I said, the Sharp is great. Hope this helps...

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

DLP is almost never brighter than LCD, and visually, when rated the same (ie. 1000 ANSI lumens), DLP's appear dimmer. DLP and LCD projectors of the same resolution tend to also have the same detail, or at least for those I've seen. Which are different, Jim?

The Marantz and the Sharp both use the HD1 chip (1280x720 native resolution). The Marantz has a higher 1200:1 contrast (vs 1100:1 for sharp), lower brightness (700 vs 800), same colorwheel (5x), and sealed optics. I believe Marantz now has a solution to the nagging flicker problem they've been having, but I'm not positive.

The Dwin Transvision II should be out very soon as well.

5. andrew r. katz

thanks for the info fellas. i find it interesting that there is as much debate here in the forum about dlp vs. lcd as there seems to be out in the marketplace. one thing i did notice about the marantz is that it is clearly quieter than the sharp. also, the marantz guy spent alot of time bragging on the virtues of the faroudga chips in his projector(decoder,doubler and enhancer) are these chips worth the praise? my family is on a 50/50 split of tv to movies. the 16:9 screen looked great for movies but salesman did not impress me when he stretched the picture of broadcast tv to fit the 16:9 screen. other posts reference this but i admit i am still confused about the ability of the components to make broadcast tv look right on a 16:9 screen. any and all advice is very welcome. i wish i had known about this site six months ago when i first became interested in ht. you guys are awsome.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Personally, I think D-ILA/LCOS beats the stuffing out of DLP and LCD. [​IMG]

7. andrew r. katz

that sounds great, the only problem is i dont know what D-ILA/LCOS is. i would love to research it. any suggestions?

8. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Andrew,
    If you'd like a lot more info about current/upcoming D-ILA/LCOS, LCD, and DLP FPTVs, you might want to spend a chunk of time over at the AVS Forum. You'll find two specific forum areas devoted to projectors (and another for screens) and a great deal of traffic and knowledge. While there are certainly folks here at HTF that know a great deal about FPTV, there simply isn't the same kind of traffic on these topics.
    Similar to the Sharp and Marantz unit (and the Transvision) is the Seleco Sim2 HT300. Slightly different would be the Hitachi 5500. Each has specific advantages/disadvantages, for instance the Marantz's Faroudja chips (which are great, though the Sony's processor is pretty good as well).
    Most all of these units look fantastic when appropriately setup (the correct screen, controlled lighting, calibrated, etc.).
    For the 4x3 instead of the 16x9 material, masking the screen is a help, as is (depending upon your source) some good processing (Faroudja NR, TAW Rock, CenterStage 1, Vigatec, etc.--actually the processing can help most any image, 4x3 or otherwise).
    Not everyone likes using FPTV's for normal "TV" viewing. The image often doesn't look that good blown-up, light control is sometimes a pain, there can be a lot of gear to turn on, etc. Many folks leave a small TV (32" or 36") around for normal TV viewing.
    If you'd like to feel you're getting the best unit possible for your needs (or the best value), you probably will need to do quite a bit of research.
    Just MHO, anyway.
    Regards,
    Mike

9. andrew r. katz

thanks again, every little bit helps. i will check out the a/v chat