What's new

Marantz VP-12S3 - VERSUS - Sharp XV-Z10000U (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
For use with the Stewart Filmscreen Luxus Deluxe Firehawk in a fairly small, amply lighted setting. It's a connecting room so it's not fully enclosed which means I have little control of darkness during daytime hours other than blackout shades, and the walls, ceilings, floors and surrounding space are also of light tone which ultimately reflects on the overall luminence of the room. I've been reading into both the Marantz VP-12S3 and Sharp XV-Z10000U and both seem like excellent choices. The problem is, I'm not sold on either yet and am having difficulty deciding between the two. I'd like to know what preforms better in a smaller setting taking into consideration close screen seating, lighting and all other factors. I'm looking obviously, for optimal video quality with as little unit noise as possible given the setup and clearest possible resolution. Please help me decide between the two. What are the pros and cons and what would you reccommend?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The S3 uses the HD2+ chip, while the sharp 10K is an older generation chip. I would assume you'd be looking at the 10K for significantly less money, probably worth a couple grand at this point, compared with the S3 which is more like $10K. The current sharp 11K/12K (same projector, the 11K is for the japanese version) uses the HD2+ chip, and is comparable to the S3. The older S2 matches with the 10K, and both of these are beat by the increased contrast with the HD2+; and black segment color wheels (i think the S3 has this too, but my memory is poor).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Chris and sorry I took so long to reply, I didn't realise that this thread had been moved - I just saw the title w/ no responses and figure nobody had clicked.

Anyways, you're basically saying that the Sharp is outdated and better units are available now?

I ran a Google search for the Sharp 12K but came up with nothing, could please link me to a site/review/retailer covering it and how much would I be looking at?

Would you personally reccomend this unit given my setup and descriptions above?

I know very little about what's available outside of the research I've done on my own online, but I'd like to hear more about this...

Thanks for your help Chris!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks