What's new

Marantz v520 Laserdisc player? (1 Viewer)

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,

A friend's friend has this player for sale. Is this a good player?

Thanks,

Aaron

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Hi Aaron, the 520 whic I also have is a decent player it compares I believe to the Pioneer non Elites. If it has AC-3 I would pick it up if the price is right. I paid $500 new for mine. There are 520's without AC-3. Only analog & optical out.

Regards Al

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Hi!

I picked up mine for 150 bucks and it came with a bunch of movies to boot!

It has AC-3, optical for DTS, and even passes Dolby-EX. In fact, the main reason I bought it was to play the SW Ep1 Laser Disc. It is hooked up to a Ref 30 pre-pro and I can;t say enough about how good it sounds when playing back movies. I wouldn't use it as my CD player, however as I feel it's a little muddy when compared to my DVD player or even my low-fi Sony 300 CD changer.

But if you're getting a 150 to 200 price on it...snap it up.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I use this as well. It is an excellent LD player, though certainly not the pinnacle of LD-dom. It does double duty as a CD player, though I would also agree with Manny that it does not do as well there.

But be sure it has the AC-3 capability. And for a 150-250 price range, it is worth it, if you want LD capability.

Mike

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I have no experience with this model I only wanted to mention that IMO it's ability or inabliity to play AC-3 is not a big issue. I would think that any movies that you do not own at this point will be purchased on DVD, and AC-3 laser discs came out just as DVD was starting so there is not a hudge supply of AC-3 any fairly old LDs are most likely DPL. I own just under 100 Lds and I don't believe any are AC-3.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks