Marantz v520 Laserdisc player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Dec 24, 2001.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

A friend's friend has this player for sale. Is this a good player?

Thanks,

Aaron

2. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    Hi Aaron, the 520 whic I also have is a decent player it compares I believe to the Pioneer non Elites. If it has AC-3 I would pick it up if the price is right. I paid $500 new for mine. There are 520's without AC-3. Only analog & optical out.

Regards Al

3. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Al!

Anyone else?

Aaron

4. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I picked up mine for 150 bucks and it came with a bunch of movies to boot!

It has AC-3, optical for DTS, and even passes Dolby-EX. In fact, the main reason I bought it was to play the SW Ep1 Laser Disc. It is hooked up to a Ref 30 pre-pro and I can;t say enough about how good it sounds when playing back movies. I wouldn't use it as my CD player, however as I feel it's a little muddy when compared to my DVD player or even my low-fi Sony 300 CD changer.

But if you're getting a 150 to 200 price on it...snap it up.

5. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

I use this as well. It is an excellent LD player, though certainly not the pinnacle of LD-dom. It does double duty as a CD player, though I would also agree with Manny that it does not do as well there.

But be sure it has the AC-3 capability. And for a 150-250 price range, it is worth it, if you want LD capability.

Mike

6. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have no experience with this model I only wanted to mention that IMO it's ability or inabliity to play AC-3 is not a big issue. I would think that any movies that you do not own at this point will be purchased on DVD, and AC-3 laser discs came out just as DVD was starting so there is not a hudge supply of AC-3 any fairly old LDs are most likely DPL. I own just under 100 Lds and I don't believe any are AC-3.

Brent