What's new

marantz users help me plz. (1 Viewer)

gutierrez

Auditioning
I just bought a marantz 6300 for my ht, the thing is whenever I watch dvd movie I have to crank up the volume to about -5 to 0 (volume level is -75 to +9) but for me this is still not loud enough, but for music volume is only set to -20 and it's loud enough. Is this normal?

Btw what is your max volume? mine is only up to +9, so I don't have enough room to adjust the volume since it's already on 0, the speaker level volume is already set to +6 - +8.

I already checked the cables ,interconnects and settings and in fact reset it and reconfigured it, but it's still the same. I'm disappointed with the 6300, it seems that it doesn't have the power to drive my speakers (mission m70i series). I don't like the fact that I have to crank up the volume to about 90% but still unsatisfied with the sound it produce.

thanks.

Tamer C

Agent
gutierrez,

I also just bought a Marantz 5300. I usually watch movies from -10 to 0 level. I was surprised a few days ago when I noticed the max was only +13. The individual speaker adjustments I have are 0 - +2.

The speakers I have are B&W 600 series. I was also worried that I'm running it at such a high level. Not sure what others think. For some movies I can't go above 0 because it's just too loud.

gutierrez

Auditioning
Tamer c

Dude your lucky bec for your receiver 0 is "too loud" but for me 0 is not loud enough, considering that my 6300 is higher model and has 10 watts more power.

I just can't believe that I have to push the receiver to it's limit to produce a loud sound (I like watchin movies LOUD), btw my room is very small about 3.5x3.5 sqm.

It's sad that I feel I purchased a piece of crap :frowning: .

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd have to say you have a setup problem or a room problem, it is not simply the receiver. My room is about 19 x 20 with angled vaulted ceilings, and the 6200 and 6300 were able to reach adequate levels at around -18 or so, with reference calibration at -8 on both (LOUD!). My 8300 is at average listening levels at -25. You may be getting cancellation within the room, so try moving the speakers around (a perfectly square room is just about one of the worst things you can have for sound). Check your settings on your sources as well as your reciever.

Neither of you mentioned how you have them connected or what modes you are listening in.

Running the receiver at or above 0 is risky, as the amp will eventually clip and possibly cause damage to your speakers.

gutierrez

Auditioning
Your right, I don't want to push the receiver to it's limit. With my current settings, it should produce a pretty LOUD sound, but it isn't. My spaker levels are pretty high already so I think I just have to return this unit and get another one :frowning:

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Have you calibrated?

If so, then 0 should be reference level which is for most people quite loud. The difference between music and movies is normal. I'm not seeing anything wrong here, except that maybe you want to listen at an unreasonable level...

It's difficult to tell if maybe you do have a bad unit if we don't know what you've calibrated to. Otherwise, reference level (theater level) for movies would be 0 on the volume scale. And most of use listen below that because it's pretty loud, and your hearing is worth saving.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
What did you use before? And are your speakers? I have a 7200 in a 18 x 18 with an 18 ft cathedral ceiling and it is open to the kitchen/breakfast nook and a 6' wide "gallery" hallway and 0 is too loud for me usually.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
"0" is not reference on these receivers. Whatever point on the scale that gives you 75dB, or 85dB depending on calibration material, (based on your gear and your room) on the SPL meter is. I hit 85dB well before 0, and 0 is painfully loud.

Again, what are you connecting to it and how? You haven't given enough information for anyone to help you. Buyers remorse...

bill cleveland

Auditioning
i have a sr4200 running jmlabs chorus speakers(715,706,cc700)without sub,through ixos cables and wire.and i find -25 for movies loud enough.my room is 12x20x7 and is acoustically dead.music is usually about -30 to -32 depending on material.running it up to zero would be painfully loud and probably get me tossed out of my apartment.

Dan KW

Agent
I have a 5200 running a paradigm studio 20's / studio CC setup. The room is quite large, I don't know the exact size and -20 on the dial is plenty loud for my apartment. I would say that either the speakers you have are not very efficient or that you may just like to listen to things too loudly. As a last resort check to see if the unit is faulty. The reciever may not be as powerful as you may want but in no way is it a piece of junk if it is working properly. You just may be asking too much of it.

Tamer C

Agent
My room size is about 12x18 with a regular ceiling (not cathedral/vaulted), and 2 hallway openings on either side.

I calibrated the 5300 with an SPL and got 75db readings when it was set at 0db volume. My individul speaker settings are:

Left +2
Center 0
Right +2
Surr L +2
Surr R +2

Going above -5 for movies is very loud, but between -10 and -5 is good and not too loud. So is there somehting wrong with this? Should the volume be much lower?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I normally watch movies at -20 volume level. I don't have my speakers calibrated very high. My sub is -5 I know that. I calibrated mine but I don't think I did it all correct. It is loud at -20.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Sure, but ideally if you calibrate 0 as being reference, then 0 would be reference. If you calibrate somewhere else, then that is your reference point. I have a 5300, and it drives my paradigms plenty loud. I usually listen about -10 to -20, depending, and to do some demo or impress sometimes i go up to -5 or a bit higher. At this point i begin to worry about bottoming out my SVS. If heat is an indicator of anything (which it loosely is), it takes much more power to drive my two main speakers full-range for music than it does to drive all 7 (set to small) for movies. The reciever heats up doing music to warm or hot depending on volume, but it never has gotten as hot while watching movies, even with a whole day of marathon loud movie watching just below reference.

Cagri

Second Unit
I think something is wrong with the settings or the receiver gutierrez. In such a small room with those 88dB missions you shouldn't need to crank the volume that much. Have you checked the compression settings of your DVD player and the receiver? Is for some reason the midnight mode(or the equivalent mode) set to on, maybe? Are the speakers sounding clear? With those settings (you say individual channels are +6 and +8 and master volume is 0) you are already drving the receiver over its limits, hope you haven't already burnt a tweeter or two?

gutierrez

Auditioning
I return to the store and verified that there's nothing wrong with the receiver, they tried it with the same speakers and it was LOUD at -10db (considering that the showroom is big).

I will reconnect my system and see what happen, I hope that I didn't burn my speaker's tweeters.

gutierrez

Auditioning
I also noticed that the max volume level is only up to +9 whereas the other models is up to +15.

What is the max volume level of your Marantz receiver

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
My Marantz 6200 is also from -75 to +15. Its being used in a 12 x 12 x 8 room and usually, loud to me is -20. For me to show off my system, I rarely go above + 5.

Tamer C

Agent
From what I've read it looks like playing between -15 to -5 is okay if 0 has been calibrated as my reference level (75db).

gutierrez

Auditioning
How would I know if I purchased a bnew unit or a refurbished one?

One weird thing about my 6300 is it doesn't say made in Japan or China at the back panel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks