Marantz SRx200 owners, what speakers do you have or recommend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Myki Cantero, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

To any Marantz SRx200 owner or user, what speakers do you have and what are your observations on it. What kind of speaker would you think suit the Marantz sound best?

I have Wharfedale Diamonds and I want to upgrade later on to maybe B&W or Dynaudio or anything better so I could give my current speakers to my dad.

I listen to Pop, Jazz, New Age, like U2, Jacintha, John Mayer, Dave Matthews, Norah Jones, Mozart, Andrea Boccelli, Enya, Carlos Jobim, etc.

I read somewhere that since Marantz is "warm", then it could be matched well with a "bright" or "detailed" speaker.

I just want to limit my search since I don't have the luxury of time on going around and doing A/B comparisons. But definitely, I will audition first before buying.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a 6200 teamed with the Paradigm Monitor line (5s & Minis). Some consider Paradigms to be bright, but I feel the Studio line is brighter than the Monitor line. I consider the Monitor line "crisp", and I feel they pair well with Marantz. www.paradigm.ca
    I have also listened to Axiom M3Tis in my setup, and while a bit brighter, they also sounded very good. The M3s are very detailed speakers, at a lower price point than Paradigm's Monitor line. May be hard to audition, because they are not a common speaker, but they are as good as the reviews say. www.axiomaudio.com

3. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

I own an SR-7200 and Paradigm Studio 40's, Studio CC, and Studio 20's (& PW-2200). I'm probably biased, but this setup sounds absolutely amazing in my opinion. I have a fairly small closed off room at about 12x19x8 with accoustic treatments at all of the mirror points and a BFD to equalize my sub with about a 10 db house curve from 100hz to 20hz.

Anyway, once again, it's audio heaven to me, and I can't imagine anything sounding much better for the same amount of money.

On another note, I brought home an Anthem MCA-2 to try and improve my 2-channel even more, and it will be going back tomorrow. I'll be posting more on this later in a new thread....

4. Myki Cantero

David, I'm a newbie. What does BFD mean and what's a 10db house curve? Sorry but I'm just curious.

It's just that I'm having difficulty with fine-tuning my subs. I don't even undertand why there's no sub-woofer output with source-direct mode. It sounds very clear and detailed but I miss the low booms of the sub.

And out of curiosity, what settings do you guys have for bass and treble?

5. HarryR

HarryR Agent

I am running Paradigm Studio series (60, 20, CC, 2200) with my 7200. Sounds great and agree that they are a good match. I have found that I dont have to monkey with the tone controls with this set up.

6. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Mordaunt-Short Declaration 900 series. They are a very detailed speaker which pairs well with the Marantz.

7. John Garcia

John
    No tone control adjustment here either.

Myki - do a search on "BFD", and you will find plenty of info on it.

8. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I have a SR-8200 with B&W 600 Series 2 speakers (602's/601's/LCR6) and I think they mate very well. The three speaker lines mentioned in this thread: Paradigm, Mordaunt-Short and B&W are all very good. I haven't heard the Mordaunt-Short line a a few years, but I remember really liking them when I demoed them.

I consider the B&W's a perfect match with the SR-8200, not too forward, not too mellow - just right. I would love to have to upgrade eventually to a set of B&W CDM-NT's (spouse allowing of course!).

You have three great manufacturers mentioned here, I personally would start demoing with them!

Good luck!

Pete

9. John Garcia

John
    My buddy has an SR7000 with B&W CDM-1NTs and I think it is one of the best sounding home setups I've heard for the money.

Another friend has an SR19-EX with Studios (40s/CC & in-wall rears) and it sounds a bit on the bright side, but he also has a large, active room with very little in the way of reflection taming. It sounds very impressive.

10. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

I use an SR7000 with B&W 600 Series 2 speaks. I've heard the Series 3, and they are awesome as well. I use 603 S2's for mains, LCR6 S2 for the center, and 602 S2's in the rear. All mated up to an SVS CS-Ultra sub. Rock on.
    They sound wonderful to me. I listen to very similar music as you, Myki.

Prior to the B&W's, I had Klipsch speakers from the Synergy line (those were the first speakers I bought). Sturdy mid-fi products. Good stuff. You can't go wrong with those either. For a bit more dough the Klipsch Reference series is freakin' amazing--haven't heard them with a Marantz, but I'm sure they'd be great. Depending on how much money you're looking to spend, there's a good chance that they might let you do a home audition of a couple of speakers. You might try looking into that. Good luck, and have fun.

Andy

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Marantz SR6200 with PSB Image 6T's in the front. 9C center and 2B surrounds. I love the sound. Very very nice. Clean and clear with nice bass extention and good efficiency.

13. Myki Cantero

I'll be going to speaker auditions today and I can't wait. I'll bring my receiver and my CDs to be sure.
    I still have to look for a shop with Paradigms but I'm not in a hurry to purchase anyway.
    I thought Mordaunt-Short were budget speakers. I guess it's just because I saw it being sold at a budget computer store. I'll try auditioning this as well.
    I can't wait to get new "babies" for my fronts. Specially, since my wife just gave birth to twins last July 4!!! Of course, the joy of getting the real babies outweigh the joy of any speaker. :)
    Since I'm a bit low on cash, I'll be replacing the main fronts first. Would anyone know if it will be a problem if I match 8ohm speakers (main front) with 6ohm Wharfedales (the rest)?
    THAHK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Depends what you mean by "budget." Some might say that anything less than $850 US per pair is budget, which would put the Mission 774, Paradigm Reference 40, and my Mordaunt-Short 906 in that category. While most brands offer a budget line, these particular models are clearly above anything you can get at the mass market superstores.

15. Myki Cantero

Oooops. Sorry, I didn't write down my budget. I'm only willing to spend around US$500 for the two main speakers. I'll just keep my existing Wharfedale center and surrounds for the moment. So far, the B&W 601 and 602 fits my budget. I'm sure the Reference 40 will to. I didn't ask for the price of the Mordaunt Short but if it is the floor-standing type, I'm sure it will go over $500.

Myki