Marantz SR9300: Dolby 5.1 vs PLII

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnBAIL, Feb 6, 2004.

1. JohnBAIL

JohnBAIL Extra

I recently bought a Marantz SR9300 to replace a Denon 3803. The Marantz is a fantastic unit, particularly for music, which was the main reason for upgrading.

But one thing is bothering me. For movies and digital tv, I like to leave the surround sound setting on 'auto'. This is fine for multichannel material, such as 5.1 movie soundtracks, but 2-channel stereo material stays as 2-channel - I have to physically change the surround setting to PLII to get multichannel.

With the Denon, 'auto' automatically played 2-channel material as PLII, remembering what the previous setting was. Is there any way to get the Marantz to do the same? I hate watching DVDs or tv, having to work out whether each program is two-channel or multi-channel, and then manually adjusting the receiver.

Ideally, I would like the receiver to play multi-channel sources as multi-channel (Dolby, DTS or whatever) and play 2-channel sources as PLII, without having to manually adjust the setting each time. Does anyone know if this is possible with the Marantz?

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't think there is a way to do this. My 8300 picks up PLII with stereo DVDs, but selects 2ch for pretty much everything else when a 2ch signal is fed. Are you feeding the receiver with digital audio from a cable box or analog stereo from the TV? With an analog signal, the receiver likely only knows there are two channels, and thus selects stereo by default. The alternative answer is, you can create a macro in the remote to select PLII and switch to the TV's audio input for TV viewing. I do not use my receiver for TV viewing.