What's new

Marantz SR8200 - pops (1 Viewer)

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I turned my receiver on the other day with it set to the DVD input. I am using a Pioneer DV-45a with a digital coaxial cable. When I turned the DVD player (receiver was already on), my mains popped. I turned everything off and checked the coaxial connection, unplugging it and plugging it back in. I then turned everything on and the pops went away. However, if I get my ear up on the speaker, I can hear a very faint pop sound when I turn the DVD player on. I don't hear any noises like that using analogue inputs (CD player, VCR). Is it normal for there to be a very faint pop sound when turning the DVD player on?

James_SCEA

Agent
Edward,

It is not normal to hear a popping noise on your mains. However I'm not sure if what you are hearing is the SR8200 automatically selecting the audio format.

When the dvd player is turned off for example, the receiver will not send anything to the amp because there is no signal. Once you turn it on, it will then recognize the active source signal (even if it is just stereo), and then kick on the decoding and amplifier stage. When it does this, you may hear a slight "tick", but it should definately not be audible at even moderate levels.

I have the same receiver (which I'm incredibly happy with), and if you turn your receiver on at around -5 to -10db, I can certainly understand why you can hear it. But it should not be something that you classify as "loud", or something that can possible damage your speakers.

How long does it take for your receiver to detect the given audio format? It may need the firmware upgrade (along with other goodies like DTS 96/24 and enhanced DD and DTS "32" bit decoding).

Try taking your format selector off of auto and just leave it in stereo to see if changes anything. That may be why your analog inputs don't do that because they're set only for two channel L/R audio.

If for whatever reason you think it is deffective - if it may cause harm to your speakers don't be afraid to take advantage of the three year parts and labor warranty.

Good Luck!
JC ;)

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Hey JC,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the software upgrade, thankfully! No problems there.

Like I said above, I no longer have the hard pops that I had that one time I turned the unit on. I think what you are describing is what I am hearing. If I am sitting on my sofa, turning the DVD player on with the receiver already on, I hear nothing. If I put my ear up to the speaker, I believe I am hearing that tick you describe. It is definitely not loud; very faint. Sitting down, with the unit at -20db, I can't hear anything. I was just scared that one time I turn it on and starts doing that horrifying popping sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks