Marantz sr8200 or Marantz mm9000amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky c, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered Mirage OM7 w/center.I have a Marantz sr7000 and am thinking of either adding a Marantz mm9000 5 channel amp or get Marantz sr8200.I can't do both.Which would you guys think i would be better off with.My room is 22.5 x 19.5.Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Ricky,
    Are you planning on sticking with 5.1 surround or do you want 6.1/7.1 with THX and DTS-ES? If you are happy with your 5.1 setup then go with the mm9000. They are selling it for $699 at www.AC4L.com I had the sr7000 and i loved it but i wanted 6.1/ 7.1 THX and DTS-ES and opted for the Onkyo 797. I have an external 5 ch. Parasound amp i am using to bi-amp my mains and power the 2nd rear surround channel(797 only has 1 rear power amp with a pre-out for a second for 7.1)I think the 8200 looks really sweet. If THX and DTS-ES are important then go for the 8200. If you are happy with 5.1 then go for the MM9000. Either way you will notice a big improvement in sound quality(and the Sr7000 is no slouch in the sound quality dept.)Good luck and let us know which way you went.
    Regards,
    Dalton

3. Tony_Br

Tony_Br Auditioning

Ricky_c

I added the MM9000 to my SR7200 getting great improvement on all aspects of dynamic impact and sound(which wasn't anything to cry about before). If you need the increase to 7.1 and/or the any of the many functions of the 8200 including component outs, DPLII, SRS etc., then you may not be satisfying your techno bug ego by just adding the amp. If not, the MM9000 is THX Ultra certified and is a beautiful piece and can be gotten for 699(which is what I did)at Accessories 4 less(the link mentioned above). Prompt delivery of the product as advertised and they are an official Marantz distributor. Their Marantz products are factory refurbished and/or turn ins from the many product shows like CEDIA. I couldn't tell mine was anything other than brand new. Highly recommended. Check out the site, but I'd recommend calling to order as you'll get good info on exactly what they have. Because of the QC issues of the new line, I would personally wait until the jury is out for a while longer. My 7200 has had no audio problems, but does have the rare vertical hold glitch on rapid sequence scenes.

Good Luck,

Tony Broussard