Marantz SR7400 or Denon 3803 or Yamaha RX V1400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nathan-C, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Nathan-C

Nathan-C Extra

Hello,
    I need all of your help. I can't decide which of these 3 receivers to get. I was really set on the Denon 3803, but saw the RX V1400 is now shipping with DPL IIx and from what I have heard it's great. The two factors swaying me towards the Denon is the 100mhz component bandwith and the 16 burr browns. For the RX V1400 its the Front A/Vs, YPAO, multi zone options and THX. I recently read that 60 mhz is more than enough to pass HD signals without degradation. Now to throw a wrench into all of this is the Marantz SR 7400, which has, pretty much, identical specs to the RX v1400 except it has less DSP programs and YPAO. But I have read that in most users opinions The Marantz sounds better. Lastly I did read in a few places that the Marantz SR7400 was having some quality issues i.e. getting too hot to handle. Any advice is appreciated. Also system will be used primarily for Movies and regular TV than Music. Needs to last at least 3 years.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. John S

John S Producer

Well, you have broken it down quite nicely.....
    DPLIIx does throw a wrench in the choice.

I'd probably still go for the Denon, but I am biased, as I think they sound the best or at least the best for my taste.

I know this post didn't help you at all, but heck, I am killing time here at work, waiting to go home.... lol

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Denon sounds good to me, but for music, my nod goes to Marantz. Since you don't listen to more music, I'd say it's actually a toss up between all of them. If you can get out and audition them, that would always be the best bet - play with the remotes and try out the features as well as listen, as your decision may be much simpler than you think once you do this.

Note also that the 3803 can be had for $699 at www.6ave.com

4. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

$699? That's a great price for that unit. Are you sure? Looks like it says 999. Do you have to call or something?

5. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

i'd have to go with the marantz out of that group. close call between denon and marantz - but in my opinion the marantz wins out.

guess i have to say why...well, because audibly i find that denon and marantz' are very similar sounding, so marantz edges out denon because of aesthetics. as well, i owned a 5300 and for the money it was superb!

take that for what its worth!