marantz sr7300ose or sr7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ricky c, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

can anyone tell me which is the better receiver.Accessories4less has the 7300ose for less than 800,audiosound.com has the 7400 for 800.also does anyone have any experience with audiosound.com.would appreciate all info

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 7300ose (as well as the standard 7300) had a well documented hiss problem audible when there was no program material playing. I would read up and make sure the 7400 doesn't have this same problem.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Never heard the 7400. I traded some excess stuff for a 7300ose several mos. back. My basement is almost done and in a few weeks I will be putting the system together down there. So far I have only listened to the 7300ose in stereo and played perhaps a dozen CDs. I have not noted any problems. I guess it depends on whether your focus is music or theater. I would guess that the 7400 has a few more features being of later vintage. The 'ose' is built better and has better stuff in it that will primarily shine on music. You may wish to do a search here and at avsforum.com for reported problems on each.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The hiss problem seemed to me to be isolated to a certain batch of players, and recently someone on here even mentioned his 7200 had this issue as well, the problem aparently being a bad board. None of the 7300s nor the OSE that I heard had this problem, nor did the 6300 or my 8300.

The 7400 has a different problem: heat. The one I auditioned at a local shop was very hot while just sitting idle. The OSE actually has a better chassis and power supply than the 7400, so I'd lean more towards the OSE personally. The 7400 has newer DACs and processing though...

AC4L has been very good to me, and I recommend them.

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I'm sure the 7400 is way different than my 5400, but my 5400 had the heat problem as well. I took it in to my local store after I bought it, they are also a service center, they made an adjustment to the 'idle current', whatever that is, and now it runs like a champ, still warm, but not hot like it was before. I'm guessing a similar adjustment needs to be made on the 7400 if it is getting too hot.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

SR8200 and SR 8300 aren't much more. Personally, I'd get one of those myself.