Marantz Sr7300, trying one out.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Winkler, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Marantz SR-7300 A/V receiver today. I have some concerns/questions/comments.

1. When listening to cd's via an analog input, the PEAK indicator is coming on at very low volumes i.e. 60-70db at my seat. What's up with that? The manual says: If the selected analog audio input signal is greater than the capable level of internal processing, the PEAK indicator lights up. Hit the ATT button when this occurs and doing that cuts the signal input level by about half, and the PEAK indicator goes out. Could someone further explain this to my little mind. The receiver is in two channel + sub when this happens. I'm running quite efficient Dahlquist speakers 8ohm.

2. With the learning remote, do you have to punch in every key of each function you want the Marantz to learn? By that I mean, do you have hit the Play key then learn, the FFwd key then learn, the stop key then learn etc.?

3. Is this receiver extraordinarily deep? 16 7/16" + an inch for the binding posts. I did not factor this into my purchase and it does not fit my rack too well. It's almost 6 inches deeper than my Sony... my bad, should have measured.

4. Digital sound sources seem to be reproduced well. It's really to short of time yet for me to judge much performance wise this way.

5. Other 7300 owners, maybe this totally varies between receivers, but what are your approx. volume settings? It seems like I have to crank this unit up quite a bit. Not used to the db volume style maybe.

Sorry if this post is somewhat jumbled. I'm anxious to like this receiver but have not been overly impressed yet.
    Comments, suggestions please.

Thanks everyone,

Steve

2. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

1. The peak has nothing to do with the volume you are listening to the music at or your speakers. I think it means that the signal strength you recevier is getting is going into a range too high for the pre-amp, so it needs to be attenuated (scaled down) before amplification to get the best result.

2. No. Once in learning mode hold dow the key you wish it to learn then press the key on the remote you are learning from until the Marantz remote accepts it. Repeat until you are finished, then hold down ok to exit the mode. Remember you have to tell the remote which section to store these new commands under so when entering learning move press DVD, CD, VCR1 etc to tell it this.

3. Yes it is quite deep for it's class.

5. My SR7300 was not calibrated. -40 to 45 was normal listening level on music, 30 was getting quite loud, 20-25 was loud, -15 was the limit before it began to hurt my ears.

For movies I used between -30 and 20 most of the time. For TV I used -20, my tv output volume seems to be very weak.

Have you not noticed the high pitched sound that several others have complained about? Check for it, stick your ear right next to the tweeter when an analogue source is selected, or use a digital source and mute the amp (leaving the source playing). This was the reason I sent my SR7300 back, apart from that I thought it was excellent for the money.

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Re: Number 1 - This has been covered here a number of times, so you might want to do a search. The short version is this: it is not a good idea to use Stereo or Auto mode for music with an anlog source without source direct mode. The way you had it is: Dig to An in the CD player, then An to Dig to An in the Receiver. This has the peak problem as well as inferior sound quality due to the extra conversions and/or attenuation. Source Direct mode sends the analog signal right to your speakers. Your receiver is just an amp, with no processing. Much better sound quality (assuming you have half-decent CD player DACS) and no peak problem. The only downside is that you can't use the sub-out in SD, but there are ways around that using the l/r pre-outs. You could also try using a digital connection and use the receivers DACs. I have found that this has exceptional results with my SR8200, but found it to be inferior to SD with my SR7000. Your results may vary with the 7300.

Chris

4. Steve Winkler

Thanks for the replies guys. I unfortunately can't hook my cd player up digitally, it is older and only has analog outputs. I did try the source direct and yes the Peak light goes out, but as mentioned the sub is inactive with this setting. Seems odd this $1000CAN+ receiver handles a "simple" connection in this manner.

As for sound level, I'm somewhat confounded. The sound quality seems quite nice to my ear though not that different than my old Sony Str-DE925. There just isn't much OOMPH either. Perhaps I was expecting too much of an improvement. I have calibrated with the internal test tones and with Avia, (kind of an odd combination of both due to receiver constraints)and found DTH satellite viewing to be around -25db, DVD -10 to -15db, so far.

I haven't had a whole lot of time with this rig yet, so any comments I make must be taken with a grain of salt. The new sound formats ( for me anyway ) are interesting, Dolby Pro Logic II and dts NEO6 seem pretty good. Haven't taken advantage of 6.1 yet as I don't have an easy wire route or spot for the rear center, hard to put that extra speaker behind me.

The remote once programmed may be OK, but it does leave a little to be desired. As others on the forum mentioned, backlighting would have been great and/or glow in the dark buttons. Edit: Some of the buttons do glow in the dark, it wasn't charged up enough earlier in my use.

I don't know, maybe it's the whole buyer's remorse thing happening. I'm really questioning whether I needed this upgrade yet. Oh well, I've got 30 days in which to exchange or refund.

On the Fence,

Steve

5. Steve Winkler

Back again, had a bit more time to spend with the receiver and to answer those with questions about the high freq. hiss, yes I think it is present on this unit as well. It is very quiet to my ear and I cannot hear it from my main listening position. I have to put my ear right next to the speaker.

The component video switching works and to my eyes no degradation of quality. I've only used it with 480P sources though ( DVD & Xbox )and not my HD sat feed. This was one key feature I wanted to upgrade to and it's good to see it works. Unfortunately, you can't re-name inputs, at least to my knowledge, it would be nice to hit the DSS button on the remote/receiver and have it display XBOX if that was where it was hooked up. I can do that on my old Sony, just convenience I guess.

Overall, the unit seems pretty decent so far. I'm starting to think that I just don't need the upgrade yet though. I never thought I'd type those words, maybe I've cured my dose of upgraditis or at least put it into remission temporarily. Perhaps the Denon 2803 will make me have a relapse.[​IMG]

Thanks for reading,

Steve