Marantz SR7300 or HK AVR-525

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry.Evans, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

I've coaxed myself into a higher price bracket but found an opportunity to get a AVR-525 for $550/refurbished & warranted. Would this model be comparable to the SR7300? Output is lower but offers the 7th channel and component video switching.

Thoughts? I'm about to order the AVR525 - anyone care to give the nudge to do so?

-Barry

2. Rick CH

Rick CH Agent

3. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

On the other hand... page 4 of the second thread that Rick refers to contains a post from Mike Up that has links to six posts regarding problems with the HK.

I was considering the same two models that you are. I wound up with the Marantz because I was nervous about the build quality of the HK. Besides being concerned about possible cooling fan noise, I noticed that the HK ran very hot, the front panel and switches are plastic (vs. aluminum on the Marantz), and the heat sinks are a cheap looking tin (vs. cast aluminum on the Marantz). The 7th channel was not a consideration for me, since I am running a 5.1 configuration. By the way, the Marantz also does component video switching.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the HK sound. They are both very "musical" receivers. As it turned out, my Marantz suffered from the high frequency tone problem Rick refers to, and I will be exchanging it next week for another unit that Marantz will pre-test for me to ensure that it is problem free.

Unfortunately, the technology is changing so rapidly and manufacturers are under such pressure to get new products to market that I don't think sufficient testing/quality control is done. You will see threads on this and other forums regarding one problem or another with all of the major brands.

I think you will be happy with either receiver... as long as you get one that is defect-free. Good luck!

Peter

4. George Conti

George Conti Extra

I am looking to purchase a 7300 and I asked the dealer about the ringing that has been found. He called Marantz and I'll pass on their reply.

The ringing is normal, within specs, but if you would like you can send in the unit for free to Marantz and they will fiz it.