Marantz sr7300 and video taping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanS, Jan 2, 2003.

1. DanS

DanS Auditioning

Hello all:
    I posted this in another thread re: Marantz AV Receivers, but thought I might get more replies this way, and embarrass myself in front of a lot more people at the same time.
    I'm new to the HTF, and, after two months of research, listening and reading these threads, have just ordered a Marantz SR7300, due to arrive in the next day or so. The final choice came down to NAD 752, Denon 3808 and the Marantz. I'm still apprehensive about this decision, but I wanted to give the Marantz a shot because of it's decent audio (I want to replace my 2 channel preamp, if posible), three year warranty and slightly better price than the Denon. NAD quality control just made me too nervous.
    That's the why, the how is where I'm getting stuck.
    Hopefully one of you Marantz owners can help me with a couple of basic connection questions I can't seem to figure out by reading their, and sometimes even in English, pdf manual I downloaded from the Marantz website.
    How can you tape a digital cable program while watching a DVD? Everything I understood in the manual indicated that when the video input (selection) was changed while taping, the vcr would record that new input. I know I'm missing something.
    It's clear that you can listen to a cd while recording from a video input, but can you watch a second video program while taping ?
    I could solve the problem by bypassing the whole video section of the receiver, and play back the taped program through the tv's rca outs, as I do now with my old Adcom 560, but I am told that will not give me any surround effects. And pretty much defeat one of the reasons for getting new ht gear.
    I have a dvd/cd player, a vcr, a cable box, and am pre-outing my mains through two Aragon 2004's. Not complicated, I hope.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Hope this isn't too painfully idiotic.
    Thanks,
    DanS[​IMG]

2. DanS

DanS Auditioning

I meant the Denon 3803.

See what I mean?