What's new

Marantz SR7300 and Protect Mode (1 Viewer)

maolen

Auditioning
Hi,

I am an owner of Marantz SR7300 since December of last

year. I am very much satisfied with it's sound both in HT

and HiFi. However, when I watched LOTR (2 towers) DVD,

my unit went into 'Protect Mode' at least 5 times during

the whole movie. When it goes into protect mode, sound

will be cut off for about 5 seconds.

I do not understand why this happened when my volume

is only set to -17db. This happens when there is a

sudden burst of sound. Although the sound is not very

loud, it seems the sound has much bass. I feel this

Protect mode is unacceptable in this volume level.

After a few trials trying to simulate, ff I found out.

Note: am always simulating the exact scenes where it 1st

went into protect mode

1. After pressing reset buttons (back to factory settings)

I can play it at around -10db but any thing lower will

go into protect mode

2. I set my speaker to small, I can play at -5dB volume

3. Switched off the unit (power cord not plug) for 5 hrs,

I can play the unit at +7dB (did not try higher as

volume is already loud)

4. Allow unit on standby for 3 hours, I can again play it

only at -10dB. It seems the longer it is on, the lower

volume I can play.

I have brought the unit at Singapore Marantz dealer and

they found no problem with my unit. Technician and

Salesman told me that my speakers could be the culprit

as the power sent by the receiver is high which my

speakers cannot cope and to protect my speakers from

damage, the receiver goes into protect mode.

I tried other movies and the same happens to some while

others are ok. music cds (using analog), the protect

mode only kicks in when the volume is too loud, about

+10dB volume.

I cannot accept that this unit will go into protect mode

at such a low volume but what can I do? Can anyone who

has the same receiver (and speakers if possible) to

try if the same will happen? I feel very helpless and

am starting to think that my purchase is not good.

Oh, my speakers are all bookshelf

Mains: Kef Q1 (91dB sensitivity and 8ohm impedance)

Center: Kef Q9c (91dB and 8ohm)

Surround: Kef Cresta2 (90dB and 8ohm)

Any help and suggestion will be appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe you can ask the store you bought it from to swap a new one out for you, since the service center could not figure it out. Did the service center tell you what things would put the receiver into protect? I have had my 6200 for 2yrs, and I have never had this happen, even with the volume momentarilly at +15. My typical listening level is between -20 and -15, with ref calibration at -8.

One remote possibility is that one or more of your speakers is damaged and causing this. Try hooking up each of them one at a time to see if it still does this. A damaged driver(which should be obvious) may cause this type of intermittent problem.

maolen

Auditioning
Hi John,

Swapping with the store is not possible here. HiFi stores here normally do not have 1 to 1 exchange policy.

The technician and salesman told me that my speakers cannot take the power I am sending and that to avoid frying them, the receiver goes into protect mode.

I'll try your suggestion to try one speaker at a time. Hope to find the problem. At least if it's one of the speakers, I know what that it's the speakers causing the protect mode unlike now where I am stuck to the problem and nowhere to go.

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi maolen,

A receiver will only go in to protect mode if it gets too hot or if it suddenly finds itself driving a set of low impedance speakers at too high a level. This causes the voltage rails to droop which kicks the protection circuit on. Based on your experience, perhaps this is heat related. Where do you have the unit - does it have adequate ventilation around it?

The salesman is incorrect in saying that the receiver is shutting down to prevent damage to the speakers - the receiver knows nothing about what your speakers are doing except their impedance and the back EMF produced.

Do you have a sub? If so, all speakers should be set to small. The Kef's you have cannot produce adaquate bass below 80Hz no matter what their specs sheets say.

The Kef's impedance may also drop fairly low (4ohms or so) between the port and driver resonances - this may be causing the receiver to shutdown.

Your best bet is to improve ventilation for your Marantz, check and recheck your speaker cable connections at either end (speaker and amp), set all speakers to small and recalibrate.

Also, how are you watching LOTR: TTT? Is it an illegal DVD?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This unit should not be doing this. It could be the speakers are blown, thus creating a slight short which sucks power, which the marantz should shut down in response to. Could be something simple like stray strands of wire at the terminals. And of course, heat is an important concern, make sure you have PLENTY of ventilation, and that the unit is not too hot to the touch.

Jon's advice is spot-on. If everything checks out, and the speakers are not the culprit, then take the unit back to the dealer to be fixed/exchanged. And if all speakers are set to small, and it's STILL going into protect mode, it's probably something more than just heat. There has to be a short somewhere...

maolen

Auditioning
Thanks to all who replied.

I have tested it out again today but only for a short while and will re-test again later. What I did today is plug the unit in a different socket from the rest of my appliance. What happenned is I can now play those specific scenes upto +1dB.

Jonathan, my unit is on top of my rack and the rack is around 1.5feet away from the wall. What is 'back EMF produced'? I do not have a sub but I also tested with all speakers set to small but it did not solve the problem. I am planning on buying the KEF Q7 (floorstanders) in the future (after few more months of savings) but if the problem is caused by low impedance, does that mean I need to reconsider other speakers?

ChrisWiggles, I tried using my surround speaker wires and connected them to my mains and the same still occur. I really suspect that something is wrong with my unit that's why I brought it for service but the technician said all is working fine and that using their speakers does not show the problem I have. Now I am stuck with this problem and no where to go.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, while +1 is still quite loud, this unit should not have a problem with it while set on small. Why can you not take it back to the dealer/tech?

And the other important thing you've not checked is the speakers. There may be a bad speaker somewhere that's had a melted voice coil, thus causing a short-circuit which will surely drive the Marantz into protect mode. Seeing as how it does not happen except for high volumes, there still might be enough resistance in the coil such that it plays except for extreme volumes, when the low resistance really begins to suck too much power. While I am often skeptical of many so-called "techs," there was no problem with the receiver when you had it checked out, which leads me to beleive that it's something else, such as heat, the speakers, sloppy speaker wire connections, or it could still be the unit and the tech could have been incompetent or missed the problem.

You should try swapping around your speakers. Play two-channel music full-range on your mains, does the unit go into protect? Do the same thing with your surrounds. If it does start going into protect on one particular pair, then you probably have a damaged/faulty speaker. Try narrowing it down like this if you can, or take them ALL into your dealer to have them checked it. We still have not determined whether the problem lies with the amp or somewhere else, but again i want to point out that when you had it checked out, they played your marantz on different speakers and there was no problem, so at this point I recommend you spend some time troubleshooting your speakers, or just taking them all into your dealer. You might also try measuring the resistance across each speaker, if one is particularly low, that one is probably faulty/damaged.

maolen

Auditioning
ChrisWiggles,

I can take it back to Marantz dealer here but it'll be pointless since they are saying my unit does not have a fault and that it's normal for SR7300 to go into protect mode.

After several trials, I can see that the point where protect mode kicks in is not always the same. Sometimes it'll kick in when past +5dB but sometimes even at -5dB.

I noticed that whenever I power on my unit, I can crank up th volume to maximun (+18dB) w/o any problem. But after sometime, say 2 hours of playing, when I try again same source I could not reach maximum again ang the unit will go into protect mode on varying volume but normally above 0dB.

I tried w/ only Main Left connected, then main Right, then centre and all are going into protect mode at the same point. This eliminates the possibility of one speaker or some wires being faulty. I really could not understand why I can go into maximun but after sometime of use, it does not allow me.

I want to bring my unit again to the dealer but am pretty sure the same will come out.

PeterCB

Agent
maolen,

The 7300 should definitely not go into protect mode at -5db or less. Your dealer telling you that this is normal is incorrect.

As you may remember, I also have a 7300. I got mine a little before you did. My front speakers (left, right and center) are all large Definitive Technologys, with a nominal impedance of 4-8 ohms. I always play movies at -5db, and have never had the receiver go into protect mode. It has only gone into protect mode once in the 7 months that I have owned it, and that was when playing some very bass heavy "party" music at around +5db.

The fact that your shutdown problem only occurs after the receiver is on for a few hours leads me to think that it is probably heat related, although it doesn't sound like you have a ventilation problem.

I would definitely take the unit back to the dealer. If he is not willing to replace it (which I can understand after six months), then have it repaired under warranty. You paid top dollar for a properly functioning product. Yours is not. That's what the 3 year warranty is for.

Peter

dhenesy

Auditioning
Real Name
debbie
i have had the same problem with my marantz 7002 one way to eleminate it being a speaker problem is to use the equipment that came with it to set speakers to a specific level, when i did that it shut down while testing my rear speakers and that was the problem they had a wire touching a wire and it shut down my receiver.....all the other speakers tested fine the rear speaker was the culpruit.......bought a new receiver 6400 and now it went into protective mode not overheated not speaker problem so i sent to off to norman electronics while its under waurantee but it still cost to ship cost me 39 dollars to send it from pensacola florida to georga..........hope they find the problem this is my third marantz receiver as much as i love this brand if they cant fix it i will never get another marantz to take it out of protective mode you have to hold down three buttons in the front on the 6400 you hold surround button clear button and exit button this takes it out of protective mode but it kept going out again so i didnt want to chance it and sent it off............the 7002 I had you hold pure direct 7.1 clear..........alll three at the same time..........its not in the manual i had to call marantz to get the buttons to hold so if you have a different model just call marantz and they can give you the information debbie ps im using b&w in front klipsch center klipsch sub and klipsch rears............all cables are hdmi to tv from receiver and hdmi from direct tv to receiver and hdmi from blueray to receiver...............hope this helps debbie
also its not related to any heat build up as receiver has plenty of headroom and open to back

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks