Marantz SR7200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jakob B, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Jakob B

Jakob B Auditioning

Still trying to fine tune the SR7200 set up and have a few questions.

Should the OSD operate any time the TV (old) is on? My OSD operates only when playing a DVD. I have S-video from receiver to TV and DVD, and RCA hook-ups from receiver to TV. Disconnecting the RCAs still gives me OSD only through DVD viewing.

Should my powered sub operate during normal TV viewing? I'm currently running the cable line through the vcr(old, non S-video) and then to the TV. RCAs connect the VCR to the receiver. Changing sound processing still does not trigger the sub.

How does the Auto TV on/off work? I tried changing the set up menu to enable this function but nothing happens.

Thanks,

Jakob

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    On your remote you can turn OSD on or off, and it can only be controlled while you are in "AMP" mode on the remote.

Since you are looping all your video through the receiver, it should still come up always, however you cannot use BOTH S-Vid and composite. Using one should disable the other, in this case, composite (RCA). This is stated in the manual (I have a 6200)

Is your TV limited in inputs and that is the reason you are looping through the receiver?

For auto TV on/off, I think you have to program the codes for your TV into your remote before it is able to turn it on/off. I don't find this function at all usefull, as I don't want the TV on when I am only listening to music, which I do far more than TV viewing. On the other side of that, I rarely use the stereo for amplification of TV broadcasts.

Not sure about the sub, but if there is no signal sent to the sub then it will not turn on, and this may be the case with the particular TV viewing you are doing, or it may be the way it is hooked up. If you have stereo outs from the TV, use them and see if it changes.

3. Jakob B

Jakob B Auditioning

Thanks,

I tried disconnecting the RCAs but that still does not allow me to get the OSD at liberty. And yes, I tune to AMP on the remote before pulling it up.

I'm looping through the receiver because my TV and VCR are old. They're next on the upgrade list!

Anymore suggestions?

4. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

the way you get the auto tv on to work is you first need video OUTPUTS from your tv. I have outputs called monitor out on my tv and i simply connect all three RCA's to the tv input in the receiver. the cable that actually turns the receiver on is the VIDEO cable from your tv, so make sure that is plugged into the tv in on the marantz. the OSD will not be shown durging regular tv viewing, only when you switch your tv to one of the other inputs, such as s-video, or video 1. I have the tv auto on set up and it works great- why not get as much use out of your receiver as you can, plus i can watch a lot of good movies on HBO in DPL II. and yes the sub will work with the TV, it just depends on the audio settting you have on the receiver.

If youre using your VCR as the actual tv tuner at all times, youll have to run the two audio output cables to the VCR input on the receiver, and either still have the video out from your tv connected to the tv input on the receiver, or split the video signal from your VCR to have it go to both the tv and the receiver at the same time.

5. Jakob B

Jakob B Auditioning

Oh darn, lost my last replay.

In summary, I'm returning (internet purchase) it today and have placed an order at a local brick and mortar shop for $150 more. Popping noise through the speakers is unacceptable as is the owners manual but I'm overlooking the latter unless the next one has problems too.

6. Jakob B

Jakob B Auditioning

that is, reply!

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When you pick it up at the B&M ask them if they will let you take it out, and test it before you take it home, just in good faith. The "popping" was a known issue with some models early in production.