What's new

Marantz SR7200 (1 Viewer)

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
If there are still any SR8000's hanging around for sale, they might be a good buy. You have 5 channels of pre-amp out and 5 channels of power amp in. The remote control that comes with it, though not a Pronto, is pretty capable and retails for about $350 seperately, according to a friend that was shopping for a remote.
I bought mine retail for about $1300 Cdn at Christmas. There may still be some available.
Larry
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
As Larry mentions the SR 8000 is an option because it has MAIN AMP inputs. The point is though, I wanted DPL II and 6.1 and even the new SR 8000 does not have these things.
Still, you only need MAIN AMP inputs in order to make use of an external crossover, so......
If the SR 8000 has power amp inputs, then it might be a handy guide to look at if the other SR x200 series is at all similar. If you designed an AMP-IN for your Marantz Sr 7200 receiver, perhaps you could compare the inards of the 8000 in order to see what to do. Might take a seasoned electronics person to do it right thought.

Kevin L K

Second Unit
I've posted this before but let me ask it again: can't you just run a couple of interconnects from the front left and right preamp outs to the two line level inputs on the back of the subwoofer,set front speakers to large,and sub to off(no),and control the crossover point with the sub's crossover control? I do realize you're still sending the full frequency range to the mains but you could set the sub's crossover to the main's lowest point and there would be no need for an outboard crossover with this type of arrangement--is this correct? Thanks.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I believe that is correct. It is a possiblity, but I am trying to use speakers that I want to have the option of running by themselves from time to time. Many people have full range speakers and use them as fronts.
The speakers I am looking at using as front speakers have a -3 dB point of 35 hz. They are PSB Image 5T's.
Given those speakers, I couldn't properly set the subwoofer crossover without having overlap or barely any use of the subwoofer. Whats the point of having the subwoofer only work from 18hz to 32hz or 35 hz? I wouldn't be saving anything in terms of receiver output power either, because my receiver would still be trying to pump out the bottom end through my front mains. The crossover on my subwoofer only goes to 50 hz anyways.
You could do what you are talking about with speakers that have a -3 dB point of around 55hz. Set the subwoofer to somewhere between 50 and 60 hz and use the speakers natural roll-off. I myself want mains I can use without the subwoofer, when use source direct or when I just feel like listening without the subwoofer.
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 29, 2001 at 08:46 PM]
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 29, 2001 at 08:47 PM]

Kevin L K

Second Unit
I agree with you Chris-the speakers I will get in the future will either be the Ascend Acoustics package(had to sell mine BUT I will be buying them again in the future)which have +/-2db at 74hz and -3db at 69hz,in which case I always set the sub to crossover at 80hz-blended with the mains beautifully when I had them set up that way-no problems at all.But,I might be getting the Axiom Millennia M80ti towers which they claim are rated at +/-3db down to 28hz! I DO have my doubts about that rating however but I have no doubt they would make fabulous full-range mains :)
What's wrong with overlapping your crossover at 50hz on the sub when your mains go down to 35hz? That's a 15hz overlap-never sounded bad in any of my setups.You certainly can't localize 50hz and below.Roll offs are usually gradual and not exact-I don't think there would be any problems at all-wouldn't sound bad at all in my book.You'd be sending all deep bass + LFE effects to the sub at 50hz and below-I'd hardly consider that a "waste".You've got to consider that a sub doesn't just produce deep bass--it also produces deep bass with VOLUME.As far as pumping out the bottom end through the mains-it shouldn't hurt them-they just will not be able to produce the sound below their rated frequency and will roll off.I wouldn't think it would damage them in any way-correct me if I'm wrong though :)
Also--I've never been concerned with saving my receiver's output power at all.If it's a quality receiver it will output it's rated power(please--I know that's a whole other discussion)without any problems to all channels.
Let me know your thoughts on this Chris :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My point is, all of this could be solved if a proper crossover was implemented. Just imagine a Marantz SR 6200 or 7200 with an adjustable crossover of 40-120 hz in 5 hz increments for all channels. You could set the crossover for your mains at about 65 hz and you'd find the perfect blend. Or maybe 55 or 60 is better. What about 70 or 75 hz? Without any selection, you're stuck with 100 hz. If Sony can offer at least 40-120 in 10hz increments, then "Music Matters" Marantz should be able to do the same thing or better.
The FULL RANGE IDEA is certainly an option. I could set my FRONT=LARGE and SUB=YES.
You know what I don't know for sure, and I should check into this, is whether or not the Marantz uses the 100 hz crossover or subwoofer pre-out during regular stereo. I know it does not when you use "source direct", that I am sure of.
I am going to give Sony receivers a serious listen if I don't like the way the Marantz SR 6200 100 hz crossover works.
If I had decided on the much smaller PSB Image 2B's for my front speakers, then that would almost be perfect, as they have a - 3dB point of 49 hz. I could set my subwoofer to xover at 50hz and thats that.
So Kevin, you are saying you would do, or what I could do with mains that go down to 32hz (6T's) or 35 hz (5T's) is this:
FRONT=LARGE
SUB=NO
Send the fullrange preout Left & Right to the subwoofer and use its crossover?
Why not:
FRONT=LARGE
SUB=YES
Send subwoofer pre-out to subwoofer and use its crossover?
Any other comments on running fronts as LARGE and crossing over subwoofer like this:
mains with - 3 dB point of 35 hz
subwoofer crossover set to 50 hz
Anyone else beside Kevin want to comment on what sort of sound would result?
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 30, 2001 at 10:17 AM]
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 30, 2001 at 10:21 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks