What's new

Marantz SR7200 (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think I can answer all those questions, since they are the same ones I asked before buying the 6200. (I don't have a need for dual room, and I can certainly live without 192/24 processing).
1) and 2) - It is a proprietary matrixed decoder. NOT discrete, as the 3802 is (not sure about 3801). Meaning, the information is correctly decoded and sent to the powered 6th channel, or outboard amps can be used to give 2 rear center channels. There are both DD and DTS 5.1 as well as a 6.1 mode that handles both DD EX & DTS ES.
I listened to the 3802, and while impressed, I am very happy with the 6200 at literally half the cost with the same power output, though only 6ch vs. 7.
3) CS5.1 is a DSP mode that is very similar to DPL II that will create a full bandwidth 5.1 mix from nearly any input (stereo, DD 2.0, 3.0, etc...). It sounds quite good, better than DPL II on some recordings.
There is also a mode called 6ch stereo, which appears to send full bandwidth stereo to each of the channels. Not sure about this one, but it produces an interesting sound.
The only other major difference between the 6200 and the 7200 is the remote. The 6200 remote is a POS, and the 7200 comes with the RC1200, which is a very decent remote. I bought an RC2000 to replace the one that came with it.

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your reply, John! The info will realy help me decide which receiver to get..
I did some research after posting my last message and I cam across a press release from Mararntz regarding the 7200,6200,5200 receivers. According to this, it says it does do DTS-ES Discrete, although no mention of DD-ex.
The link is here: http://www.dba-pr.com/clients/marant...eivers2001.htm
-Vince
[Edited last by Vince Chan on August 27, 2001 at 03:40 PM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only reasons I don't call it discrete is because Marantz does not (no logo, no literature stating discrete). It is my understanding that 6.1 is basically a matrixed format anyway, so I am not clear on where the line is drawn.
rolleyes.gif
Someone on this forum said they spoke with a person at Marantz, who said it is matrixed. Their literature in the manual says that the 6.1 decoder will decode any current 6.1 format.
Does it matter to me? No. Am I happy with the receiver? You bet.
biggrin.gif

I think Marantz CAN actually call it discrete because somewhere I read that dts recommends only a single direct rear center, not dual diffused radiators like THX-EX, DD-EX.
I hooked my system up with the 6th channel and I could defintely hear a difference in sound when playing ES material.
(I read that article, but didn't keep a link)

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the clarification John.. I think I'm beginning to understand this a little better :)
I also understand that a lot of people like using the 'source direct' mode for two channel music. Is this only for people using the analog inputs from the CD player or is it available for a digital input from CD player?
And can the 6200 recall specific settings for each input (eg: trim settings, subwoofer level)?
-Vince

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll check the manual later, but I believe the source direct mode is only for the 7.1 analog inputs. I don't think this mode can be used with the other analog or digital inputs. 2ch stereo music sounds great from both analog and digital inputs though.
Unfortunately, I don't think individual settings are able to be retained by source, only the last mode that was used for each. (I'm not 100% sure on this, will also have to check) I have not found a need to adjust much beyond the sub volume when listening to movies vs music though.

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
John
re: source direct: that's what I thought.
re: saving settings: damn. I liked that feature on the H/K. Oh well, I can live without it I guess.
Duane
Just called my dealer today for the prices.. I was curious too.. Here's what I was quoted:
Price for 6200: $950 cdn
Price for 7200: $1400 cdn
-Vince

Denis K

Agent
Info From Marantz....
Spoke with a local, reputable (been in business for decades) dealer today to see what he could verify w/respect to the 7200's DTS-ES/Matrix abilities and crossover frequency. After reading through the manual, he couldn't be certain. So he got on the phone and called Marantz. What Marantz told him was...
1) DTS Matrix only, not discrete (as John G. mentioned)
2) Crossover is fixed at 100Hz
Hope this helps!

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Re: source direct
I use it with digital inputs. I don't believe the choice of analog/digital has any bearing.
If you select analog then you're using the DAC in the DVD player. If you select digital then you're using the DSC in the receiver. Then, if source direct is not enabled, the analog signal goes through bass mgmt, among other things. That's my guess.
Miles was over yesterday and he agrees that source direct has far better dynamic range. He thought it was analog just as you, and was surprised when I showed him the setup and a digital signal from DVD.
So source direct + digital works.
Larry
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Kevin L K

Second Unit
That's surprising Larry-with H/K analog connections bypass ALL bass management and it is what H/K considers "source direct".When I had my CD player hooked up with analog connections I was only able to set my speakers to large-it would not let me set them to small and also bypassed all bass management.My speakers only went down to about 80hz so I called H/K and they said the only way to set my speakers to small was with a digital connection,and the rep told me "but it will not be in pure mode(what H/K calls direct mode)-you will be processing the signal digitally-we suggest you use the CD in pure mode for the best sound".
Interesting.
------------------

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Just for clarification, does the SR 6200 have main amp inputs? I believe the SR 8000 has this feature.
I understood that the SR6200 had no main inputs, and so using a crossover with the receiver alone is not possible. The SR 8000 has these inputs. Any comments?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote: Just for clarification, does the SR 6200 have main amp inputs? I believe the SR 8000 has this feature.[/quote]
What exactly do you mean by "main amp" inputs? The 6200 and 7200 (not sure about the 4200 & 5200) have 7.1 analog inputs, and 6.1 preamp analog outputs.
More clarification on source direct: Analog Bypass and Source Direct are not exactly the same thing.
Analog bypass will apply no processing to ANY analog or digital input. My old Sony has it, but I am not sure if the 2ch stereo mode on the Marantz line is analog bypass or not. I believe it is.
On the 6200 and 7200, the 7.1 inputs have source direct which works ONLY on that input, since it is assuming it will be DVD-A, SACD or some other high resolution, multi channel source. This feature disables all speaker settings, setting all to large, full range.
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 28, 2001 at 11:23 AM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They do have good remotes, but they only come with the top of the line receivers:
RC5000
Not sure if that one even comes with ANY of their receivers.
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 28, 2001 at 03:04 PM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
By Main amp inputs, I mean inputs that go directly to the amp section of the receiver. For instance, a MAIN-OUT/MAIN-IN loop would be like that.
The 7 channel direct inputs you are talking about go to the pre-amp section and are then also sent to the pre-outs. I want to take an output from the receiver, after the pre-amp section, and send that to a crossover and then back into the receiver to be amplified. I don't think you can do that.
The Yamaha RX-V1000 has a MAIN-OUT/MAIN-IN loop. Since the SR 6200 has the 100 hz crossover, I was hoping to sue an external crossover, but it looks like I can't do that without external amplification. Someone with a Marantz SR 8000 said his receiver had "main-amp" inputs.

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
From the pics I've seen, neither the 6200 or the 7200 have pre-amp main ins. (just pre-outs) I was thinking the same thing in regards to using my X30 crossover in the pre-amp loop. Of course I still can use it with the pre outs and my outboard amp, but I have to chose no sub and large mains.
PHIL

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep Phil. Outboard crossover, outboard amp, FRONT=LARGE and SUB=NO is the only way I can see to choose your own bass management crossover.

Gregory S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Has anyone thought about modifying the internal cross-over of the SR7200 to what ever frequency they want? The warranty would be gone! I'm not sure what type of filter they are using, Butterworth, etc. or the slope, 6 db/ octave, etc., but if someone had the schematic and board layout, it might be possible.
Anyone have ideas on this?
Thanks,
Greg

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I made a post on this subject:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/041863.html
Really, it might be possible. Like you say, you'd have to know what you are doing and need schematics. How would your work affect the sound quality?
The SR receivers do not have a MAIN L & R AMP input, but you could make one and use an already existing crossover product alot easier than making your own crossover. The idea would be to simply find where on the SR 7200(or 4200/5200/6200) the MAIN-AMP input was for the FRONT LEFT and RIGHT speakers. You could connect the FRONT LEFT and RIGHT pre-outs to an external crossover like the Paradigm X-30, Mirage LFX-1,2 or 3 or other, and then take the L & R outputs from that crossover and send them back into the Marantz receiver just before the amplifier. You would have to set your FRONTS=LARGE and SUB=NO. Your subwoofer would of course be connected to the crossover.
You would have to make sure there was no loop (short) in the circuit. For instance, if you conneced pre-outs to the xover and back into the receiver, you would have to make sure the pre-out signal wasn't also on its way on a separate path within the receiver, to the amplifier. YOU'D HAVE TO MAKE A SWITCH? Know what I mean? Make sure the pre-out signal wasn't sent to BOTH the outboard crossover and to the amp. That's why the MAIN-OUT/MAIN-IN loop is called a loop.
Basically, that is a simpler idea than making a crossover, unless someone knows better about the Marantz SR receiver crossovers. If its on a chip, then what? I think it would be the most possible. You wouldn't have to play with crossover electronics and try to make them fit into your receiver, you'd simply have to try and locate the 2 signals for the front L & R speakers that was just before the receivers amplifier stage.
Anybody think they could do this?
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 29, 2001 at 08:23 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks