Marantz SR7200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin L K, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Does anyone have this model and what do you think of it? What's the crossover point(s). I don't mean to start any trouble but I have NEVER seen such a piss poor web site in all my life--no pictures of the rear panel,no manual to download,no picture of the remote,and whatever .pdf documents they do have never downlaod correctly.What kind of impression is this supposed to have on a customer or potential customer for pre/post sales?? Can someone please scan a picture of the remote and the rear panel from the manual(if it has one)and send it to me? I am seriously considering this receiver for sometime in the future but would like to see the rear panel and remote. Thanks.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Kevin L K on August 21, 2001 at 07:32 PM]

2. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

http://www.annees-laser.com/test_matos.php3?who=1&id=11
    The remote is on the .pdf with the specs. Sounds like you were having problems with the download. Try it again. ( the bottom of the second page shows the remote). The link at the top shows the back and the insides.
    ------------------
    There can be only one!
    My DVDs

3. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

DOH! Well the .pdf download finally worked for me and lo and behold it has a picture of the remote and back panel(take foot out of mouth),however,it would still be nice to have a manual to download. Does anyone have this model and do you like the sound/features and what are the crossover points? Thanks everyone.
    Thanks a lot for the link Tom-I really appreciate it [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

The crossover is set at 100hz. If you do a search, there is a thread somewhere that had a heated debate on whether 100hz is too high or not. I personally don't know and would like multiple crossover settings in my receiver. But the SR7200 on paper looks pretty good for the price.

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have the sr7000 and am very interested in possibly upgrading to the 7200. I too want hear from someone who has it. It is not even listed on audioreview.com because it is so new. Also if anyone has the new Marantz dv7100 progressive scan dvd player i would love to hear a review of that unit also. I am getting ready to ditch my Pioneeer dv434 [​IMG]
    My System:
    Panasonic wxf95 56" HDTV

6. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have the sr7000 and am very interested in possibly upgrading to the 7200. I too want hear from someone who has it. It is not even listed on audioreview.com because it is so new. Also if anyone has the new Marantz dv7100 progressive scan dvd player i would love to hear a review of that unit also. I am getting ready to ditch my Pioneeer dv434 [​IMG]
    My System:
    Panasonic wxf95 56" HDTV (Awesome set)
    Marantz SR7000 Receiver
    Pioneer DV434 "progressive scan"(some say it is)
    Acoustic Research AR9's(Mains)
    Klipsch KLFC7 Center
    Acoustic Resaerch AR17's(Rears)
    Acoustic Research AR4C (future 6.1 rear center channel)
    Kicker Solbaric 10" (the square sub) Custom built w/300 Watt AMP(a unique but excellent sub)

7. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    What do you consider fair Nate? Let me know. Thanks.

8. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

100hz-holy moly that's a high crossover point!!!! Don't take this personally Bob but are you positive the crossover's at 100hz? I don't know about you folks but with my equipment in my home set at 100hz crossover I can definately localize the low frequencies. Does anyone who has a Marantz receiver crossed over at 100hz have a problem with the sound? Does your sub woofer integrate well with the rest of your speakers? Are ALL Marantz receivers crossed over at that frequency? Thanks
    ------------------

9. Juan Horvath

Juan Horvath Auditioning

I have heard the 7200 and think that it is a great receiever. I think that head to head with the Denon 3802, it was much more musical. I read somewhere that if you set your mains to small then the crossover is @ 80 rather than 100, but I am not positive of that. Is it really a big deal where the crossover is set at? What are the main advantages of having some form of bass management where you can change the crossover? Is this mainly for people who just really like a lot of bass in their systems? Sorry if these questions seem stupid but I really don't have too good a grasp on the whole crossover concept.
    Juan

10. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Kevin, yep. From my research, I believe it's true. I don't know about the large=100hz, small=80hz thing mentioned above. Do a search on Marantz on HTF/AVS forum and you'll find a couple threads in the past month or two stating this. Unfortunately, there is no info on the Marantz website so I guess I'm taking the word of a few owners/posters. I've got a SVS 20-39PC and can work the subs crossover so it may not be as a big a deal with my set up. I'll ask my local dealer about this as he had suggested I look into Marantz's new (x200's) line. BTW, I haven't had a chance to audition the unit yet. I'm still mulling over other receivers such as the Outlaw 1050, Denon 3802. Kenwood is out with a 0.7%THD and wasn't impressed Onkyo's lines.
    If I find out otherwise about the xover, I'll post it here or another thread.

11. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Got a message back today from my local dealer (SF Stereo) and he had confirmed that the crossover is at 80hz fixed and not 100hz for the new Marantz lines. I guess I was looking at some old posts speculating on the crossover points. Sorry for the confusion.

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

80 hz? Really? I have heard it was 100 hz, and from many different people. I will investigate that myself. Unfortunately, emailing Marantz does not work right now.

13. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

WooHoo!!! Bob-N-thanks a million for finding this out for me [​IMG] This makes a BIG difference for what my particular setup will be.I appreciate your efforts.
    Chris PC-I have also read previous posts on this board stating 100hz crossover but the more confirmations the better.Anyone else get confirmation on this as Bob did?
    ------------------

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I will look into it myself. The older Marantz receivers apparantly used a 100 hz xover for the SMALL/LARGE speaker setting. Many of the folks who have reviewed and/or bought new SR 6200/7200 receivers have stated that they were told by the dealer/store that the xover was 100 hz. Believe me, if its 80 hz instead of 100 hz, that would be fantastic. I am considering various means of doing out board bass management. An 80 hz crossover is probably a safe bet and would allow me to use the receiver as is.
    I would really like serious confirmation on what the xover is. I think I know how to do that. I will call Whitby audio tomorrow and or visit and check the owners manual. Hopefully there will be enough clues in that. Often, even if they don't state the xover freq explicitly, they say stuff life "If your speakers handle frequencies down to xx hz, then set then to LARGE, if they do not handle below xx hz, then set them to SMALL".

15. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Well, that is certainly good news to hear. I was going to go for the H/K 310 until I heard this news :)
    Two questions about this unit though, which will help me decide whether to get the 7200:
    1) Does it save trim settings for individual inputs (eg. when i switch to 'DVD' input could it automatically set the subwoofer to +3db and automatically switch back to 0db in 'CD'?
    2) What are the available subwoofer settings? eg) Can i set it to produce LFE on the sub AND have low frequencies from them mains outputted on the sub too when the mains are set to large (have both mains and sub produce the same bass (< 80 Hz non-lfe) signals like the yamaha allows) I like to have the sub augment the bass coming from my mains but I don't want to set them to 'small'
    Goddamn Marantz for not having their manuals online so I could find this out for myself :-P

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Don't get your hopes up about the 80hz. I am pretty sure the xover is 100 hz.
    I have gotten at least one reply from someone who used a Marantz SR 6200 briefly that the manual says:
    "If your speakers produce bass below 100hz, then set them to LARGE".
    Until I find out for sure, I am assuming that the xover is 100hz. I've heard at least 5 or 6 people say its 100 hz. 3 of them own or reviewed the SR receiver.

17. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

You know what's really sad about all of this--this thread wouldn't even EXIST if:
    a)Marantz had a manual in.pdf on their site
    b)Marantz actually had an email address on ther site
    c)Marantz actually had a phone# on their site
    Am I the only one who's dissapointed about this? I just recently sold my H/K AVR 510 and whenever I emailed them I received a response within 12 hours!Plus,I called them twice and got right through to them-no waiting.Now that's service.I've also emailed someone who owns the SR6200 and asked him what the crossover is.
    Vince-DO NOT discount the H/K-the bass management is one of the most flexible you'll find:
    "Subwoofer:The choices available for the subwoofer position will depend on the settings for the other speakers,particularly the front left/right positions.If the front left/right speakers are set to "Small",the subwoofer will automatically be set to "Sub",which is the "on" position.If the front left/right speakers are set to"Large",three options are available:If no subwoofer is connected to the receiver, you can choose "None". When this option is selected, all bass information will be routed to the front left/right "main" speakers. If a subwoofer is connected to the receiver,you have the option to have the front left/right "main" speakers reproduce bass frequencies at all times, and have the subwoofer operate only when the receiver is being used with a digital source that contains a dedicated Low Frequency Effects, or LFE soundtrack. This allows you to use both your main and subwoofer speakers to take advantage of the special bass created for certain movies. For this mode you can choose "Sub (LFE)".If a subwoofer is connected and you wish to use it for bass reproduction in conjunction with the main front left/right speakers, regardless of the type of program source or Surround mode you are listening to,you can choose "Sub LFE+L/R". When this option is selected, a full-range signal will be sent to the front left/right "main" speakers, and the subwoofer will receive the bass frequencies.
    Subwoofer Crossover Frequency: When the front speakers have been set to "Large", the crossover choices are 40 Hz or 60 Hz to match the typical crossover points of full range speakers. When the front speakers have been set to "Small", the crossover choices are 80 Hz or 100 Hz to match the typical crossover points of the smaller speakers used in satellite speaker systems."
    Now THAT'S bass management in my opinion [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Kevin L K on August 24, 2001 at 09:21 PM]

18. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Yes I totally agree with you, the H/K is so very flexible, with one of the best bass management systems available! However, it still doesn't do what I want exactly. I love this feature in my Yamaha which allows me to set the BASS OUT = BOTH which makes the reveiver output the bass to both the mains and the sub.. with the H/K, its either LFE only, or have an electronic crossover set in a way such that everything on one side of the crossover plays on the mains and everything on the other side of the crossover play on the sub but not both!
    Now how about the Marantz? Can it do that?

19. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Vince-which Yamaha do you have? I had the HTR 5250-great receiver! Read the bass management in the Yamaha manual.Maybe it's me but the H/K does the same thing as the Yamaha-it's just worded differently.I've owned both and they both have the same bass management options-but the H/K has more crossover points-the Yamaha has a fixed xover of 90hz whereas the H/K has 4 diff xover points.It will output the bass to the mains & sub:
    "If a subwoofer is connected and you wish to use it for bass reproduction in conjunction with the main front left/right speakers, regardless of the type of program source or Surround mode you are listening to,you can choose "Sub LFE+L/R". When this option is selected, a full-range signal will be sent to the front left/right "main" speakers, and the subwoofer will receive the bass frequencies"--this is from the H/K manual.
    To me this is the same as the Yamaha.Take care.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Kevin L K on August 25, 2001 at 03:10 AM]

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yet again we all see that if the manufactures would simply include proper bass management, we wouldn't be discussing this. Subwoofers always had adjustable crossovers from 50-150 hz or 50-100 hz. Receiver companies make such a big deal about their product having a SUB pre-out and yet now you have a fixed crossover? That makes no sense. Receiver manufacturers could easily incorporate a selectable crossover such as: 40,50,60,70,80,90,100,150,200.
    Or, at least provide a MAIN-OUT/MAIN-IN loop to insert a crossover and set FRONT=LARGE and SUB=NO.
    I have half a mind to say forget Marantz and get a Yamaha RX-V1000 which at least has a MAIN loop and use an LFX-1 crossover (if I can find one!). But of course, I am a sucker for DPL II and the Marantz sound quality, which is as good or better than the Yamaha. Instead, I am looking for an inexpensive stereo amp or pair of mono amps to use with the Marantz and a crossover.
    Here's an idea. Write the receiver company of your choice and express your concern! I think I'll write Marantz, Denon, NAD, Yamaha (for having a fixed 90hz, although they do have the MAIN loop) and Onkyo and tell them to provide proper bass management!!
    [Edited last by Chris PC on August 25, 2001 at 12:03 PM]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on August 25, 2001 at 12:05 PM]