Marantz Sr7200 vs Sr8200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by charles_w, Jun 12, 2002.

1. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone compared these receivers, If so would you post the difference in the sound quality. I had the 7200 and
    I'm considering upgrading to the 8200 to use as a pre-pro.

Thanks,
    Lee

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I don't think there is much difference in the specs. I would just keep the 7200. Just my .02

Paul

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Charles,

The SR 8200 decodes DTS Neo:6 and DTS discrete ES, while the 7200 does not. Also, it is THX Select Certified (take that for what it's worth) and decodes THX Surround EX. And, it has 192/24 Crystal DAC's for all 6 channels and it has an RS 232 port for future upgrades. Plus, it has a much better remote IMO. I can't tell you if it is a sonically better receiver as I have not A/B'd them in the same room with the same speakers. All I can say, is that both receivers sound great, and whether or not you decide to upgrade, you have a great unit for music and movies.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Being THX, I imagine the 8200 has 80hz crossover aswell, which is better in my view than the 100 hz I now have in my 6200 (same essentially as the 7200). I wouldn't bother with the 8200 myself because it doesn't have enough of a better crossover (80hz but no selectablility) or at the very least, a MAIN LOOP to use my own outboard crossover. The SR 9200 has a MAIN LOOP but its crazy expensive. I have a 6200 and the sound is great but I'll switch to a receiver with better crossover and no dropouts whenever I can.

5. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

I haven't demoed a 8200, but according to the specs there should not be a very big dfference between these models. However, a Marantz dealer here in Barcelona told me thatmusic sounds better with the 8200 (whatever this 'better' means).
    I think THX certification is not worth a penny, so I wouldn't move just for that. The nly real thing I would consider (appart from music quality which I repet, I never tested on a 8200) is the fact that it incorporates an RS232 port, so it can be easily upgraded. WHile Marantz keep releasing upgrades in the next years? Nobody knows, though... However, as I see people in this forum, everyone is changing his gear every 10 to 20 months [​IMG]

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I haven't had a chance to audition the 8200 either, but it has the better DACs (192K Crystal for all channels as mentioned) and a decent jump in power, so I would say there will be a noticable improvement. Is it worth the price jump is the real question? That's hard to say. What speakers are you using? If they like plenty of power, you might get just as much benefit out of an external amp vs stepping up to the 8200.

7. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I had the 7200 and have heard the 8200 and think there is a definite improvement with the 8200. As mentioned earlier you get a better remote, more power, THX-EX,DTS-ES discrete,DTS:NEO. I found a great price on this unit here. I have considered getting it to try out myself. It is either that or get a 2ch. amp to go with the 5 ch. one i currently have and pick up an Outlaw 950 or the Rotel 1066. I am currently using the Onkyo 797 as pre-amp but would like a true analog pass through so i think i will end up with the 950 or 1066. Back to the topic, I think it would be worth the extra $$ to check out the 8200.

8. charles_w

Dalton,

I listed my 7200 for sale when I received confirmation My 950 was ready to ship.Unfortunately it sold before the 950 arrived so I don't have them to compare side by side.My first reaction was I didn't like the 950 for music as much as I liked the 7200, but after listening to it for awhile its starting to sound better.For HT the 950 wins hands down.The decision I'm trying to make is whether to return the 950 and purchase the 8200 from AC4L to use as a pre-pro.The cost difference is $100.

Lee

9. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Charles,
    What amp(s) are you using with the 950? Also what speakers are you using. I have to agree that the 7200 was very good for music. That is one of the main reasons i am even considering the 8200.

10. charles_w

Dalton,
    I'm using an Acurus 200x5 for the mains and center, and an Acurus 125x5 for the surrounds.I'm currently using theAdire Audio HE10.1'sfor my mains and the Energy AC-300 center,Energy RVSS surrounds.
    Lee

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Amp and speaker choice probably makes a big difference considering the SR7200 can only output 29 watts at 8 ohm with 5 channels driven, and just 27 watts at 8 ohm with 6 channels driven.

12. charles_w

Gabriel,

When I used the 7200 as a receiver it had plenty of power, don't believe everything you read

Lee

13. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I went from a 7200 to a 8200, but it wasn't for lack of power on the 7200, it pushed my B&W 602S2's just fine - thank you. Unfortunately my 7200 was one of the faulty ones from the bad production run. I am quite happy with my 8200 in all aspects. Two channel is an absolute joy to me.
    I think the 8200 sounds better than the 7200. Whether or not it is worth the extra $$ is a personal thing. The 8200 is actually made in good 'ole Japan, and runs cool as a cucumber WITHOUT a doggone fan. I wish I could say the same about the OTA module in my new Dish 6000! [​IMG]
    Pete

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

16. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

Gabriel,
    the famous 29x5 specs of S&V were taken from a faulty unit.
    Do a little search on the Marantz server and you'll see the 'official' Marantz response to these figures...
    I can tell you I tested 4200, had a 5200 and now own a 6200 (this one is pretty close to the 7200 except for few details) and, as other pepople say here, they deliver plenty of power. Enough to fill a 30 square meters room with a nice and loud soundfield. Numbers is reports not always tell the truth: go and check it by yourself [​IMG]

17. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Ferran:

I just tried do find it on Marantz's site, but couldn't. Could you provide a link? Is there a way to search their site? I'd gladly admit to being wrong if the tested units were faulty. I have heard that the newer 2002 models (serial numbers: MZ0202____) have had a lot of bugs ironed out, but nothing specific. I agree that numbers do not always tell the entire story, but I think that if the numbers are correct, they are definitely something to keep in mind. Just as you wouldn't want to use a 450 lumen projector on a 12' wide screen, you wouldn't want to drive a big set of maggies with a low powered amp section. There are some basic minimum standards which, when set correctly, help us eliminate wasted effort.

18. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

None of the mass-market receivers in the

19. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I also own a 6200 and I am quite pleased with it. No probelms with it to date.

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have heard the MM9000 in action and was quite impressed. Sounded loud and clean and no strain. Of course, that was with TWO SVS subwoofers powered by their own amp, so its all relative. I await the new NAD receivers. I enjoy my Marantz SR6200 now but will love to check out the 752 and 762 NAD receivers when they come out.