Marantz SR7200 vs Denon 1082 - DTS ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt*M*E*, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Matt*M*E*

Matt*M*E* Auditioning

I was looking in the description of the features for the 7200 and I am not sure what I am getting with the description below . . . .

Dolby Digital® (AC-3)5.1/6.1, DTS® 5.1/6.1 Compatible, Dolby Pro Logic®, Pro Logic® II (Movie, Music)

How does this description relate to DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX decoding?

I am also looking at the Denon AVR 1082 which specifically states DTS ES in the features. I am not sure what exactly I would be getting with the 7200 vs. the 1082 and have not found any clear explanations of the features and benefits of DTS ES and DD EX decoding versus something that says 6.1 "compatible".

Any help in clarifying this would be greatly appreciated. I have searched for several topics on this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 7200 uses a proprietary chipset and can decode EX/ES material, matrix and discrete.

The 1082, which I believe is the same as the 3802 uses an "official" ES Discrete decoder, as I understand it.

Basically, they can both decode EX/ES.

I auditioned both last year, and chose Marantz.

3. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the SR7200 can only do matrix 6.1, not ES Discrete.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    As a 6200 owner, I can tell you discrete decoding works just fine. I think it highly unlikely that many, if any, would be able to tell the difference between the two decoders.

5. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Sorry. Mustn't have made myself clear.
    The Marantz's proprietary chipset does do Dolby EX and DTS-ES matrix (that is the sound is extracted from the two surround channels to form the separate rear channel). It does NOT do DTS-ES Discrete (a different format with the rear channel info stored separately). DTS-ES discrete soundtracks contain the necessary DTS-ES matrix data as well, so they are backwards compatible and can be heard on ES matrix only amps (including the Marantz SR5200, 6200 and 7200 receivers).
    A number of other threads will confirm this.
    Having said that, when I auditioned the 7200's ES capabilities back to back (no pun intended [​IMG]) with a Denon 2802 (ES Discrete capable), I still thought the Marantz sounded better overall (and purchased it).

6. Matt*M*E*

Matt*M*E* Auditioning

Thanks for all of the feedback. I just placed an order for one of the last 7200's they had at hifi.com.

I have heard mixed reviews of the features and usability of the Marantz X200 series as it relates to DD EX and DTS ES and getting the reciever to pick up the signal automatically, but the benefits of the clean warm sound outweigh having to adjust a few settings . . .