Marantz SR6300 quick review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Garcia, Jul 21, 2003.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I’ve had the 6300 in my setup for a few days now as a loaner until my 8300 comes in, so I thought I’d give a quick compare of it to my 6200 (sold).

The first thing I noticed when swapping the two out, is that the 6300 weights noticeably more than the 6200, a good few lbs at least. I’m guessing power supply, but looking through the vents on top, there was no obvious difference in size.

Config – straightforward, but I do not like the new menus. One option that is missing is the ability to adjust speaker levels without the internal tones, a big step back IMO. With the 6200, there were two menus from which to do this, one with and one without the tone. I noticed that PL-II has been updated to be configurable, vs. the x200 series.

Movies - After a quick calibration, I sat down with a bunch of my favorite DVDs and played key scenes. There is a definite improvement in presentation. The rears are more pleasing and seem to have better separation than previously. Center dialogue slightly clearer, but overall the front stage sounds the same. To my disappointment, the audio drop out with digital connections is still present.

Music – The internal DACs are an improvement over the 6200 when using my 222ES via coaxial digital, however the 222s DACs still sound better. The 6300s DACs sound a lot like the 7300s I’ve heard, and are very smooth. Great for music. There seemed to be little or no difference in power delivery in my room, which I expected.

Overall, the 6300 is again a very good receiver in it’s price range.

2. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I was deciding between the 6200 and 7200 (for the remote) but ended up with the 6200 to save some money which is a good thing since I was also looking at the 222es and can put the extra cash towards that instead. I have a Panasonic S55 DVD player thats not really doing anything for me musically, do you have any experience with the Marantz CC4000 (been browsing around accessories4less quite a bit hehe, great deals) vs. the 222es? Well, its good to know Im not missing much with my 6200 stereo setup vs. the 6300 [​IMG].

~CC4000 vs. 222es for CD playback that is

3. John Garcia

John
    I used to have a CC4000 and there is no comparison between it and the 222ES for redbook CD playback. The 222 sounds considerably better. I highly recommend the 222. [​IMG]

I went with the 6200 compared to the 7200 for more or less the same reason. I didn't need some of the extra features of the 7200, and there was almost no difference in power, but the remote would have been nice (I do not like the 6200's remote)

I also highly recommend AC4L, they are great to deal with.

4. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

What is the audio dropout? Is that the digital pick up delay? Supposedly, that has been fixed on the 8200 and 9200 with firmware updates.

5. John Garcia

John
    I heard it was fixed on the 7300 as well, it must be the DACs that are used, because the 7300s I auditioned in two different stores did not do it.

The firmware update is not available in the US yet, AFAIK. The 8300/9300 are not a lot more than an 8200/9200 with the updates.

6. Edward Schatz

Unfortunately, at the expense of Marantz, I highly suggest buying an 8200 or 9200 if you can and then paying for the upgrade. The 9200 with the upgrade is esentially the same as the 9300. I have been in contact with Marantz regarding when the updates will be released. The 9200 program should be announced soon, but they are waiting on the 8200. I will keep everyone informed.

7. John Garcia

John
    For the prices I got locally, the 8300 (got a good price for the 8300) was not much more than an 8200, and if the upgrade is not free, then the cost would be so close, it would make little difference. Pricing for the 9200 is still quite a bit more than I paid for the 8300 as well. If I am not mistaken, the 9300 has 32 bit DACs while the 9200 has 24 bit.

8. John Garcia

John
    Well, after an evening with my 8300, I can say that Marantz has definitely fixed the audio dropout (delay in signal detection) issue. I tried out everything I could think of that I used to have the issue with, including DTS CDs, and I could not get the delay to happen. I am very pleased. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Edward Schatz

John, how do you have an 8300? It isn't even listed on the Marantz website. If it is released, what are the differences between the 8200 and 8300? I haven't sent my 8200 off for the upgrade yet, but I look forward to doing it.

10. John Garcia

John
    8300 went up on the Marantz site a few days ago. Got mine in the first shipment (today) to my dealer because I ordered it as soon as they were able to order from their distributor.

Essentially, there are very few differences that I can discern between the 8200 and 8300, mostly just small detials. A few more buttons, new OSD functions, a chassis that looks almost identical to the 9300. Processing and power seem to be nearly identical between 8200 and 8300. I will post a review of the unit after it breaks in a while, and after I have spent some time putting it through it's paces.

11. Edward Schatz

How right you are. Enjoy the unit. [​IMG]

12. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

Is this audio dropout on the sr4300, my buddy bought it today because of my recommendation.

13. John Garcia

John
    Considering the fact that the 6300 has it, I would not be surprised if the 4300 has it as well. I don't know for sure though. This is not something limited to Marantz, many brands I've heard have the same problem. 5300 is a good choice in the price range.