Marantz SR6200 + Simaudio Moon I-5

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jason.Soko, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Well in my quest for some new speakers I realized I'm in need of some more power for driving a pair of possible totem hawks. I found a great deal on an I-5 amp and was wondering if this is the correct way of going about adding additional power to satisfy my desire for some higher quality cd listening. Running the preamp outputs to the I-5 would accomplish what I want for cd listening, but what about during dvds? Do I have to adjust two sets of volumes, one for the receiver with the center and rear channels, and then one for the I-5 driving the left and rights?

Thanks guys!

jason

2. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

The i-5 has an input (labelled A4 I think) that bypasses the volume stage, allowing the pre-out signal from your receiver to access the i-5 amp stage directly. They even call it "home theater bypass".

Once you've adjusted the levels using the Marantz's test tone, you never have to adjust the i-5 to play movies.

I haven't experienced this in person, but the i-5 is one of the few integrated amps I am considering for my system to improve my 2-channel experience, and still have my theater in the same room.

3. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Great, just what I wanted to hear! Thanks!