Marantz SR6200 Preout -> Amp Weirdness

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jason.Soko, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

When using the preouts to my moon amplifier I have to crank the volume on the receiver up to get any sound to be amplified to the moon, then I have to turn the volume up on the moon. It is as if it is not doing any type of preout at all. The preout should not be effected by any gain control. Any ideas guys?

2. Jason.Soko

Someones got to be running an SR6200 with an external amp.

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jason,

I remember you mentioning this before. Is your Moon component an amplifier or integrated amp? If it is the latter, where have you connected the SR-6200 preouts to? I wonder if you have some sort of impedence mismatch between the components (short of a hardware problem with either component).

Michael

4. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

5. Jason.Soko

Thanks for the replies guys, it is an integrated amplifier. I'm actually supposed to max the Moon and then adjust the volume with the marantz? That sounds like scary shit to me. BTW the Marantz is going into the A-4 input which is supposedly the Home Theater bypass.

6. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I don't think ANYthing should be maxed out... that is scary.

Have you used the preouts of the Marantz before?... they have been known to be faulty on occasion... it has happened to me... with shorting and smoke, no less.

As a test, you might try routing one of the fixed-level "record-out" jack pairs on the Marantz to an input on the Moon which can be controlled with its own volume control (assuming A-4 is a true bypass whose volume can't be controlled by the Moon)... and if possible, try another receiver's variable preouts into the A-4... in any event, keep volume levels low for this kind of testing.

Am suspicious of the Marantz preouts after my experience.

7. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jason,

Okay, I am starting to recall your problem. Just to keep everyone up to date and have all of the information on the same thread, here's a post you made on the problem:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...46#post1628146

And here it is quoted:

8. Jason.Soko

Mike, that problem was diagnosed and solved from my sheer stupidity. I did not think that you actually had to crank the amp so high up to receive any volume. Sound actually DOES come out of those preouts. It is just not working the way I would expect to be. I can't see myself every jacking my moon up to max volume just to play out a stupid pre.

9. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

No, don't jack the moon up to MAX. I was saying that only if you had a separate power amp (some of them have volume controls - in that case you should max it out). Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The pre-outs on any receiver are completely dependant on the volume that the receiver itself is set at. All integrated's have a zero gain point where they are not adding or litmiting the volume of the source that's coming into the inputs. You might just want to play around with the volume a bit, start off low, and try to find the point where it blends perfectly with the rest of the sytem. If you have AVIA, VE, or the Sound & Vision disc, along with an SPL meter, you can easily find a specific point where the levels match perfectly.

Sorry for the confusion, and good luck with your system.

Nick