Marantz SR5300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by agendrano, Aug 24, 2003.

1. agendrano

agendrano Extra

I currently have a 5.1 system at home and I am contemplating on getting the Marantz SR5300 (a 6.1 system).

Do I need to get a rear center speaker, or does the Marantz SR 5300 provide a "phantom" mode for the rear center speaker?

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

A friend of mine just got the 5300. I can't answer your question directly, but I do know that the setup menu allows you a "yes'' or "no'' for a center rear speaker. If you have a center rear, it's yes. If you don't have one, it's no. I don't recall anything about phantom. The 5300 owner's manual is available for download at Marantz's site.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, there is no phantom rear center. If you say "no" to a rear center, the information for this speaker is not processed, ie; it remains in the R&L surrounds rather than being extracted for the rear center. In order to hear the rear center, you must have a speaker hooked up.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I have a 5300, and no you do not need a 6th speaker. All the "6.1" modes, (including the actual 6.1, dts-es discrete) are TOTALLY backward compatible. The dts-es matrix and DD-EX are actually just 5.1. If you set the rear center to NO in the reciever, it leaves everything as 5.1, and you're good to go.

The 5300 is a nice unit, btw, I like it a lot. There is lots of good competition out there too, I just happened to choose this one, and I'm glad I did.

5. agendrano

agendrano Extra

Thanks for the info!

Currently, I have the Denon 1603, which I will relocate to my bedroom and get another AV receiver for my living room.

I was choosing between the Denon 1803 and the Marantz 5300. After listening to both units, the Denon IMO is a bit better as a home theater receiver and Marantz is a bit better on music. Since I listen more to music, I think I am better off with the Marantz.

Thanks a lot to this forum, great wealth of information!