Marantz Sr5200 Opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Bourden, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Hi, I'm sure your all sick of seeing my questions by now [​IMG]
    Either way, I've been changing my mind on basically a daily basis about which receiver I want to purchase.
    Well, after a lot of thought and research, I've come down to the Denon 1802, and the Marantz 5200. I've read a lot of feedback on the Denon and it appears ok, but I've heard a couple *great* things about the Marantz.
    I should also mention that I am getting the Sr5200 for $800 taxes, shipping and all (would normally be over 900), where-as the Denon would be purchased locally and cost about $60 more, with no price drops or discount.
    I mainly want opinions on what people think of the Marantz amp, any issue's, problems, quirks, the usual details, and opinions on it's sound quality and feature set.
    Thanks,
    Scott Bourden

2. Steven_B

Steven_B Agent

If you really want to buy local that's cool, but you can get your receiver a lot cheaper on the net.
    Example: http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com/marrec.html
    I am not a rep just trying to find good deals for my own receiver upgrade.

3. Scott Bourden

Steve: I'm in Canada, so my prices aren't as terrible as they seem to you Yanks [​IMG]
    As for ordering online, the Marantz would be, hence the good savings below regular cost on it, but the Denon would be local, and a bit more expensive for apparently less inputs, and watts per channel (and the rear center too, from what I've gathered)
    I'm just looking for any opinions that could sway me one way or another on the purchase, chronic reciever problems, particular attributes, etc. Thanks for your reply none the less though.

4. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

5. Scott Bourden

Vince, that is $800, including all taxes, and priority shipping all the way to the "wilderness", ala Newfoundland [​IMG]

6. Scott Bourden

Anybody else have anything to add about this amp???

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Many Marantz x200 receivers have had problems with S-video switching. Supposedly the new units coming off the line are OK, but I would not buy off the Internet right now and risk getting one with problems. Better to visit a dealer and test the unit out in the store to be sure.

8. Scott Bourden

Chris: Is there any way to be able to tell the date it was manufactured, or if it was in the faulty batch? A different set of serial numbers, something along those lines? I was told that a local store carries the 5200, so I can try one there if the price is reasonably close to my ordering online.

9. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Sorry, I have no idea if you can tell by serial no. or manufacture date. Maybe you should contact Marantz directly on that?

10. Scott Bourden

Good thinking, thanks for the idea.
    Anybody have comments on the sound quality and features (other then this S-vidio issue which I'll be checking out)?
    Edit: Grammar
    [Edited last by Scott Bourden on October 21, 2001 at 07:23 PM]

11. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

What is the issue with S-Video switching? I have noticed some wavy vertical lines on my screen when using the S-Video from the receiver which goes through the amp. I previously chalked it up to shitty cables (which they are). Other than that I LOVE my SR-5200! The sound is so clean. It could use a little more power since some movies I have to crank to reference to listen to in my apartment... course that could also be due to my tiny center speaker which I need to upgrade yet [​IMG]
    Let me know
    Thanks,
    Chris

12. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Chris M,
    It's not the cables. My 6200 had the wavy lines even when the dealer tried their expensive cables to see what was wrong with mine. Take your 5200 back to the dealer for repair. If they don't know about the defect, tell them to contact Marantz.

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i really am impressed by the Marantz line. i would choose them over then Denon 1602 here. even though both are excellent receivers, i like the Marantz's build quality and its remote better than the Denon's. (btw- the 1602's remote is pathetic for a HT receiver, IMHO). you can't go wrong with either, though. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

14. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Thanks Chris! I'll do that today! [​IMG]
    Chris.

15. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

I have found that the key to getting a new model is to look for an MZ000130000**** in the serial number for Sr7200 at least. the 130's appear to be the ones that have been fixed, and they are made in korea. so if there is any way you can get an online dealer to verify the serial number is a 130 and not a 129 which is an ealier unit, you can be sure it will not have any of those problems. I ordered my SR7200 online and love it.

16. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Mike, my receiver is the sr5200 and my S/N is MZ000130000579. I do have the "interference" with the S-Vid switching. That's weird. Do you have any other suggestions to look for? [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Chris.

17. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I found out that Lenbrook in Canada is the distributer for Marantz receivers, so I sent an email to them asking about this problem. Here is the email I got back
    Hi Chris,
    Thanks for purchasing one of our products. Yes we've experienced some
    S-Video switching problems with the first run of SR-5200 & SR-6200's, what
    we've found is the S-Video surface mount transistor was getting some
    interference from the DAC. There is a simple mod that was done to these
    receivers that corrected this problem but unfortunately we found this out
    after a number of units we're sold. We've set-up three places in Canada to
    quickly do the mod and get our customers up and running again without to
    much inconvenience, in Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Toronto.
    Please ship your unit to:
    HVL Electronics
    1721 Davie Street
    Vancouver, BC
    V6G 1W5
    attn. Brad Melnicky
    ph. (604) 689-8919
    fax.(604) 689-5689
    Brad will do the mod and return your receiver within a day.
    Thanks for your patience and understanding.
    Best regards,
    Darren Kolotyluk
    Lenbrook A/V Canada
    Suite 200, 4170 Still Creek Drive
    Burnaby, BC
    V5C 6C6
    ph. (604) 298-6433
    fax (604) 298-6438
    So, I'll just print that out and bring it and the receiver into A&B Sound for them to fix. [​IMG] Nice!
    Thanks,
    Chris.

18. Chris Homer

Chris Homer Agent

Sorry to jump somewhat off the topic. These lines that people are getting with the s-video, does everyone get it when you hit menu on the Marantz? I have a SR-780, which I love, but when I go into the menu when watching a DVD which is wired through S-video, the picture begins to go wavy behind the text.