What's new

Marantz SR4003, 5003 and 6003 sound quality? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
It appears that I have gone insane and will be putting together a home theatre for the living room based around a Panasonic Z85 plasma tv. At least I hope so. I was hoping that my Blu-Ray source could be a PS3...and in order to enjoy the high rez audio, I at least need an HDMI capable receiver. Having lived with the Marantz SR7000, 8000, 14EX and SR9600, and being a general Marantz fanatic, I was wondering what sort of sound quality I could expect from, say, the SR5003 for example. I was hoping it would be at least on par with the SR7000. I could always get a Panasonic BD55 and find an old used SR7000, but I am thinking of trying the other route. Speakers will probably be PSB Image B15's or T45's and whatever subwoofer I can sensibly afford. This is a long term project, as my main focus will be on the projector theatre in the basement, but, in the end, I am hoping to have a living room "widescreen TV" home theatre that isn't too much of a compromise in terms of sound quality for the odd CD etc. Any experience with the Marantz SR x003 series sound quality would be mucho appreciated. Also, if I come across an SR 7001 or 7002 used, would they do ok with LPCM over HDMI? Sound ok? Or what is the oldest Marantz line that will accept and process LPCM over HDMI? Will the x001 series do it? x002?

thanks,

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

giselle

Auditioning
Real Name
giselle
What did you end up going with, Chris? I am interested in getting either the SR7000 or SR5003 but haven't heard comparisons between the two. Can you give feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks