Marantz SR-9300 or Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXI

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steven_N, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

I'm looking to purchase a Marantz SR-9300. Is the Pioneer VSX-49TXI a better unit? I would be using it mostly to watch DVD's and Digital cable TV. I have a Velodyne HGS-10 sub, KEF 60S satellites, KEF Reference Series 103/3 fronts and a KEF 100 center channel. If no, is there something better out there in the same class and price range? Can anyone tell what differences there are with an upgraded software version of the Marantz SR-9200 and the 9300? I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I believe Marantz may have new lines coming out with a '400' series. I believe, for example that the 5400 will have more in it and be better than the 5300 and will be $549 vs. $599. CES is less than 2 mos. away and there will be lots of new product introductions. In the price range you are looking, unless you have a space issue you could consider separates as well. The processor technology changes much more rapidly than the amplifier technology. With separates you have that little bit of extra flexibility. PS- I thnik Pioneer Elite has a new flagship model coming out as well. I'm not sure of the pricing.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is no 9400 at this point, the 9300 is only a few months old.

I've heard both. I feel the DACs are better in the 9300, but the 49 has the edge with power and features.

I believe the 9300 has newer 32bit DACs, but otherwise an upgraded 9200 will be the same in features and power to a 9300.

4. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

Thanks for the replies! Space was an issue but not a big one. I presently have an ADCOM GFA-7500 which is a great amp. You're absolutely correct about the changes in power as opposed to changes in processors. I'd still like to have more opinions on the Marantz versus the Pioneer with some specifics. If I decided to keep my ADCOM amp, what would be a good pre-amp/tuner to use with it. I presently am using an ADCOM GTP-750 which doesn't have alot of the new technology (like Dolby Pro-Logic II, etc.)

5. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

With your existing amp (150 X 5), why would you want a receiver??? The rotel 1066 (1500 MSRP) would be a great match for your amp and speakers...

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree. At this price point, you should be able to get a very good processor for less than these two receivers.

7. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

I checked out the Rotel RSP-1066 and it doesn't have a tuner. I said that space was not a big issue but I don't want to buy a separate tuner, pre-amp and amp. If I keep my ADCOM amp, I would consider a pre-amp/tuner combo like the ADCOM GTP-880. What other pre-amp/tuners are out there in my price range? A few years ago, I would not have considered buying a receiver for my home theater but haven't they come a long way in the past couple years; especially the two units that I'm looking at? Can I get more opinions on the Marantz 9300 versus the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXI ?

8. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

sub $3k pre/pros

new:
    outlaw 950
    atlantic tech
    sherbourn (the AT and the Sherbourn are basically the same as the 950)
    rotel 1098
    rotel 1066
    nad t163
    adcom 860
    adcom 880
    sunfire tg3 (with careful shopping)
    integra 9.4
    B&K ref 50
    sherwood newcastle's new one, but hasn't shipped yet.
    fosgate FAT

used:
    anthem avm-20
    brystion 1.7
    naim
    arcam
    krell showcase
    ATI
    lexicon

for the new stuff, all are good, i would lean towards the rotel due to its frequent upgrades, the sunfire is easy to update as well (but they only allow one crossover for all dsps, i think), the adcom 880 is interesting as it has 2 multi channels in, the nad is brand new...

Used, the anthem is the most flexible with great updates/suport, the naim (which I have only heard in passing, very quickly) is supposed to be awesome though finding it used is unlikely...

Rich