What's new

Marantz SR-8200 pictures/specs posted (1 Viewer)

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Marantz just posted pictures and specs on the new SR-8200 on their website ( http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/index.html Yummmmm.... It even has an optical audio input on the front for the occasional Playstation 2 game on my Mits 65" widescreen!
I'm really juiced over it, I sure hope Marantz doesn't let me down again.
frown.gif

Pete

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't find that receiver on that link.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Pete Jennings

Second Unit

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
If I remember right, my dealer said it was either $1499 or $1599 USD. That's a pretty big stepup from the 7200! He stated that the 7200 was replacing the 8000, and that the 8200 was replacing the SR-19EX, with the 9200 replacing the SR-18EX/19EX. *IF* this is accurate, I wonder where that leaves the Reference line? Are they strictly going seperates or is there a few more models coming this year?
Pete

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Of all the things I notice that it has, is the Pre outs AND Main in. Interesting.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I just put half down on the 8200 today. According to the dealer, Marantz will start shipping next Monday. I should be able to pick it up next Thursday or Friday... It'll be a long week!
Pete

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Pete,
Please let us know, and I wouldn't mind if you'd run a couple of tests on it... just to make sure it's in a better shape than the 7200...

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am so anxiously waiting for this receiver. It looks to be simply an awesome piece. I was looking into the SR-9200 but for nearly half the price I can get the 8200. Seems to be the better deal. Please, when someone gets the 8200, you will have to comment on it. I hope it gets alot better press and reviews than the 7200 did. I have the SR-7000 right now and if I am going to make the upgrade I definately want it to be worth it.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What price range will the 8200 come out at ?????
How does it compare to the Onkyo 797 or the Denon 3802?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Chris,
The SR8200 is more in the league of the Onkyo 898 and just a step lower than the Denon4802. I have the sr7200 and have had alot of the problems others listed with it. I have been thinking of stepping up to the 8200 or the 898 but i have a parasound HT amp so the Outlaw 950 is in the mix also. The 8200 looks like a fine piece though :) I just don't know what to do. I am leaning towards the Outlaw i believe.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well. I just found out that I may have some other options. I took my receiver directly to the distributor, when I could have taken it to the store I bought it from. I took it straight to the distributor because I though that the store would have to send it there anyways. I was wrong. Although, with a brand new unit, I really should have looked into having it replaced completely with an entirely new unit at the store. When I brought my SR 6200 to the store, Iactually thought that they would do that. They did not. My receiver has been at Lenbrook for 4 weeks, as of today. I bought my receiver from Whitby Audio. What I didn't realize is and that they have a licenced technician that does their repair work for them. He is also generally faster.
If I still have problems when I get it back, I will take it back to the store and they will help me trouble shoot by comparing with one there. Possibility for exchange too, I think. If that doesn't work, I will leave it with Whitby Audio for their tech to work on it. I would much rather just have a replacement though. If that doesn't work, I was thinking about the 797, but I would be looking at around $1700.00 CAD + tax for that puppy. That's $777.00 more than the price I paid before tax for the 6200! I really don't think that is worth it. I've spent enough on this stuff!
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 15, 2001 at 07:07 PM]

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris,
By the way I have news on my 7200. I borrowed a Marantz CD player (a 67SE, I think) from my dealer to test the CD audio dropouts on both optical and coax. Guess what? The dropouts went away in optical and were never there in coax.
biggrin.gif

When I was plugging the optical cable, though, I noticed that on this particular player the LED is always on, from the moment you hit "power". This may explain it, since if there is at least a carrier or pilot signal through the optical link at all times, sync is kept and every song starts where it should: at 0:00. Any other explanations?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
When you say they "Went away", what do you mean? The CD player you borrowed did not exhibit the dropout problem? Or it did at first maybe a couple times and then it stopped and you couldn't make it repeat the problem?
My Panasonic DVD player is hooked up to the SR 6200 using a digital via an optical toslink cable. When my receiver was in the shop, I noticed that the toslink is always shining light out of it. The person at the shop said they could not duplicate the problem and tried 3 dvd players and 3 cd players. Likely NAD and Marantz. I don't understand the dropouts. I wonder if maybe some CD's are mastered without "silent spaces" or "blank space". Some CD's count out silence before the next track, whiles others, you see the track end, and there seems to be data telling the CD player how long to wait before playing the next track. You know, when you see the counter readin back from 3, as in "3,2,1" and then the track plays. I'll have to test it again when I hook up the receiver.
He fixed the video noise and said the audio noise has been reduced. I will hook it up and try it all out. If it works ok, then I might stick with it. I might try a few things at the store I bought it from, and if another receiver works better, then I will seriously think about switching.
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 16, 2001 at 05:46 PM]

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Pete-I'm interested in the 8200 as well.Can you please let us know after you get it what the actual price was,plus can you also let us know if it just has the 100hz crossover for the sub or have they finally gotten a clue and made the bass management a little more flexible this time around--thanks.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Kevin, I don't have the 8200 yet, but the crossover is definitely 80Hz at it's lowest - because it is THX certified. With B&W 602/S2 fronts and a LCR6 center, this is perfect (although my rear B&W 601/S2's might actually be better with 100Hz.)
The Pioneer Elite I have been using the last few years has been great at the 80Hz crossover level, so I expect to be happy with the 8200. If it doesn't work for me, I will go with the unthinkable - a $1999 Rotel RSX-1065 receiver that has 40/60/80/100/120 Hz crossovers and every bell and whistle known to man. I really hope I don't have to go that far $-wise, but I am definitley threatening to do it!
Come on Marantz, don't let me down!
tongue.gif

Pete

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Got my SR 6200 back. Still has audio drop outs when I:
1) first turn on the dvd player and press play. First bit of track is missing. "aanngg" instead of "BAaanngg";
2) Same things happens when I fast forward or scan to previous tracks, or when I press individual track # buttons.
3) Change discs. Each time the player goes to another disc, I loose the signal and it drops out the first bit of the song again.
I noticed a Pioneer 503 hooked up to an SR 5200 at the dealer did the same thing. The repair tech at the distributor couldn't make it drop out and he tried 3 different CD players and 3 different DVD players.
It will not dropout between tracks now, and I think it did used to do that before.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Chris,
Sorry to hear about your continuing problems. Maybe you should take your DVD player in with the unit and show them first hand.
How are the other problems - hiss, and S-video?
I'd like to ask you to perform the following test. Find a disk with lots of explosions or gunshot flashes. A good disk for this is Terminator 1, the part where Arnold drives up in the stolen station wagon to the first Sarah Connor's house, and fires the .45 pistol with laser sight. My 6200 always loses vertical hold at the first gunshot only, for a split second. Very annoying - it happens during a lot of regular TV watching as well, because so many commercials these days incorporate fast, bright editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks