Marantz SR 7300 OSE owners feedback.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris PC, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I am obtaining an SR 7300 OSE. I don't care about the audio delay anymore, as it seems its just too common among Marantz receivers, and other brands too. Anyways, listening to CD's with analog cables is working ok.

Just wanted to get an update from 7300ose owners on what I should expect and I have a few questions. I originally had an SR 6200 which was ok, then I used an SR 7000 and now an SR 8000. I tried an SR 6400 and it was also ok, but I prefered the 7000 and 8000.

Are there any idiosyncracies or issues with the 7300 ose that I should be aware of?
    No heat problems like with the 7400?
    Anything really cool that you have discovered that you like about its features?
    Any advice about setting it up?
    Lastly, since it has the RS-323 port, have there been any useful upgrades at all for the 7300 ose?

I imagine this peice should sound very similar to my SR 8000? (Only the millionth time I've asked that question...lol, but hey, I get different feedback all the time. Maybe someone else has recently upgraded from a 7000 or 8000 to the 7300ose just like I am)

thanx in advance for any feedback and info,

[​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't have any new info for you, but if you find one, sell me your 8000 [​IMG]

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'll keep you posted. A friend is kinda ahead of you in the que though, but if he passes on it, then I'll let you know. Almost thinking I should keep it for music only...hmmmmm

4. Ron T

Ron T Stunt Coordinator

The OSE runs very hot. I had a 8000 and a OSE and ended up selling the OSE. The 8000 just sounded more open and had more control. And there weren't any upgrades to it for your other question.
    Good luck.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Guess I'll see when I get it and give it a listen. I haven't heard anyone else saying the ose runs hot, but thanx for that feedback. I'll keep my eye on it. If I keep the 8000 I'll only miss out on the 80 hz crossover and surround modes. I've heard from some that the 7300 ose sounds quite similar to the 8000. The ose also uses more power, particularly in the 6.1 surround modes. Maybe I'll sell both and get an 8200/8300. Probably not now, as I can't afford it. I'm upgrading my LCD projector so I need some extra cash [​IMG]

Any other 7300 ose owners out there with some feedback from your listening adventures?

6. Arthur

Arthur Extra

I had my 7300 ose for almost a year now & I'am a happy camper. I had concerns on those issues that mentioned but I went ahead it purchased it anyway. By the way, I'am not technical so here they are:

1) NO heat issue
    2) NO delay issue
    3) have not used the RS-322
    4) set-up is easy but i'm only using 5.1 due to small area
    5) power - lots of it since it handle the power hungry NHT SB3 front and SC2 center.
    6) CD & Video music shines on "Stereo" mode better than 5.1
    7) have all components (plasma, DVD, dvr, Motorola Cable box) connected to the 7300 ose via component cables.

That's all I could think of now.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well, as it happens, I was given a 7400 instead. I made sure to ask that it be checked for the heat issue. I haven't hooked it up yet. I imagine it should sound ok, but I'm sure it'll match the stereo sound quality of the SR8000 or 7300OSE. Will report back [​IMG]

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

7400 so far compared to SR 8000.

Potentially more upper midrange and treble detail. Similar bass quality, but I'm not 100% sure it matches the 8000 yet. Must compare more. No heat issues what-so-ever. Listened for several hours at a moderately high volume and the unit was barely warm above the transformer.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I noticed a similar result comparing my SR5000 to my PM7000. There's more detail up high (HDAMs?) on the PM7000, but bass sounded pretty close between the two.

Congrats!

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Actually, there seems to be more upper midrange and treble detail on the 7400 vs the 8000, and the 7400's bass is a question mark. Sometimes I detected a boom. More comparing, but that will have to wait until I calibrate and tweak my PJ.

Curious whether the 8200 would fit my needs. I wish I could get an 8200 updated for little cash.