1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz SR-7200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeKaz, Aug 8, 2001.

1. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

Anyone who actually has the marantz in their possesion, i dont want speculation from people who dont have it- does the SR7200 decode DTS ES 6.1 discrete or just matrixed.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have the 6200, which has nearly identical specs, but is a step lower. I looked at the 7200, and it has the same amplifier section as the 6200: 105W x 6. Nowhere in their documentation does it state "EX" or "ES". The DTS logo on the unit is the standard one, not the "DTS ES Discrete" one. The manual does not say that the 6th channel is matrixed, and it does say that the unit will properly decode EX/ES material. I hooked up a sixth speaker to the 6th channel, and the sound appeared to be correct - the test tones on T2:UE played correctly, and effects travelled from left to center to right surround, particularly noticable on the DTS intro. I don't know what that all means, but it appears to work. If it is matrixed, then why bother providing a powered rear center channel and not just outputs?
    Not having a good place for additional rear speakers (rear wall is all glass), I went back to 5.1, though I will try to figure out a way to do 6.1 using ceiling brackets or stands.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

John,
    How do you like your SR6200. I've been thinking about picking one up...also been thinking about the Denon 2802 when they come out.
    Just a couple of questions...Does it have an OSD? How do you like the sound with your Titans? User friendly? Any comments are appreciated.
    I've played with the old SR 7000 a bit and really liked the OSD and relative ease of use...plus it sounded really good with the B&W speakers they were mating it with at the showroom.
    Anything you would have liked to have that the 6200 doesn't have?
    Thanks,
    Ed

4. John Garcia

John
    yes, the 6200 does have an OSD, and it is pretty straight forward, in that there are no frills - more or less just text & info, but what more is needed? My Sony had a nicer GUI style OSD with a "mushroom" joystick on the remote, but the functionality is the same. You also have the ability to turn the OSD on and off to prevent accidental changes when using the unit.
    I am very pleased with the sound of the Marantz with the Titans. I'm open to having you come by for a listen, if you like. This week is actually good, except tonight.
    B&W makes awsome speakers! A friend of mine has an SR4000 with B&W CDM-1NTs and it sounds incredible.

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

The SR-7200 is not a DTS-ES Discrete receiver, only matrix. Someone asked why have a powered speaker when it is not discrete?
    Well, DD-EX or THX-EX is not discrete either, it is matrixed. What that means is getting the information from the rear channel and algorithmically splitting it into three channels.
    The only "Discrete" channel offered is by DTS. The unit will have a logo on the front that says "DTS-ES Extended Surround". Only this receiver will do DTS-ES Discrete.
    Any movie that carries a DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack will also carry the DTS-ES Matrix soundtrack. So what the 7200 is doing is decoding the matrix soundtrack.
    Also, what you can do is experiment with different 5.1 DVDs and force it to play in 6.1 and you may be surpirised by the results. So that is the reason why you would want a powered 6th channel.
    Just my $.02!

6. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

"it is pretty straight forward, in that there are no frills - more or less just text & info, but what more is needed? "
    Exactly my viewpoint also!
    Thanks for the offer to audition it...I think I'll take you up on that offer, just not this week or next, very hectic right now.
    I've been looking at the Titans or the Mini Monitors as possible options for mains and surrounds. So it'll be good to hear them in a real world setting.
    The B&W's I was mentioning were set up at Century Stereo by the AMC Saratoga Theaters...sweet sound, pricey but nice. I was a bit put off by the sales guy...trying to sell their last SR7000 for MSRP. Ya right! Anyway, I'll be stopping by Bay Area Audio in a few weeks to do some more auditioning.
    Thanks,
    Ed

7. John Garcia

John
    Hehehe, there's a lot of HT right in that area. I love Century's new showroom, I've been going to them for years, but some of their sales people have come off condescending to me also on occasion... [​IMG] It's the closest place I know of to listen to B&Ws, but they are more than I am willing to spend right now.
    Paradise is also in the same shopping center, closer to the theaters, and they are a little better people-wise. I still prefer the treatment I get at Bay Area Audoio, and they carry Paradigm [​IMG]
    There is yet another place right up the street from Bay Area that carries a lot of good stuff (where I demoed the SBs and the 3802) called Laser Land Home Theater. They are not bad at all, and I often use them to get hard to find DVDs (they also rent), but their prices for DVDs and HT gear is HIGH. Good place to demo though. Since it is close to Bay Area, I would check it at the same time.
    I need a life, huh? Damn expensive hobby....but I need my music [​IMG]
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 08, 2001 at 06:08 PM]

8. John Garcia

John

9. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Sorry if I have misunderstood you. Seems like you are more keen on having a 7.1 setup rather than a 6.1 setup. A 7.1 setup is only recomended for THX-EX (DD-EX). DTS does not reccomend two "Back" channels for DTS-ES.

10. John Garcia

John
    Maybe I need to try a single bipole/dipole for the rear center? It seems a bit too obvious when there is a direct radiating rear center to me. It does not sound BAD exactly, but to apparent, IMO. Just some more experimenting, I suppose. Thanks.