What's new

Marantz SR-7200 & Similar Reciever Discussion (1 Viewer)

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,
I have just bought a new SR-7200 from a local dealer here in Jersey. So far I am very impressed with it. It has plenty of power and just listening to 2-channel stereo has been great. I will post a more detail review in about a week or so. I want to give it sufficient time to break in and test all the features. The biggest problem I have w/ it so far is that the user manual and the remote control sucks. Here are some of the problems I already found in the documentation:
1) On the Marantz website it states that the SR-7200 has 105 watts per channel but in the manual it says 110 watts.
2) D/A converter, on the website it says 192 kHz/24-bit, in the user guide, 96 kHz.
Granted that Marantz is not known for having the best user guides but I think this is ridiculous! So which do you think is right? Personally I think the website should be more accurate but how do you confirm that???
I am still trying to decide if I should keep the SR-7200 or not. I am also considering the Integra 6.2 and perhaps the Denon 3801. Spec wise these are similar receivers and does anyone recommend that I audition other brands and models in this price range. I would say that I use my receiver about 60/40 for music/HT. My speakers are Paradigm Reference Studio 40 v.2's for main, ADP for surround, CC for center and a Paradigm PW-2200 for sub.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The Marantz brochure i have says 105 watts and it also says 192 Khz DAC's.
I too am considering a marantz SR receiver. For me it would be the SR 6200. Other choices i might go with are the Integra 5.2 or 6.2 (lots more $$ for 6.2) or the Denon 3802 (again more dough than SR 6200). I want DPL II and good bass management.
What speakers and subwoofer are you using? how do they work together using the 7200? In terms ofsound blending.
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 05, 2001 at 11:52 AM]

BIll Klein

Auditioning
I have just bought a new SR-7200... The biggest problem I have w/ it so far is that the user manual and the remote control sucks.
Just out of curiosity, what remote control does the SR7200 come with? I used to have the SR7000 (now have the 8000) and the remote was fantastic. Ok, it was ugly like sin, but it was programmable and replaced every other remote I owned and worked like a charm. It could even control my HTPC. The remote that comes with the 8000 is even better still.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 7200 comes with the RC1200 learning remote. I bought my SR-6200 recently, and it comes with an even worse remote, so I went out looking for a new one. I went to my favorite local shop and looked at the Marantz remotes to compare the RC1200 to the RC2000 mkII, and ended up getting the 2000. The 2000 has macro capability, is backlighted and is relatively well laid out. Only problem I can think of may be that battery life may suffer from the backlighting (which can be turned off) and the LCD display. It is a bit large, but I am happy with it so far.
As for the tuner, it is 105 X 6, and 192KHz/24 bit D/A. The users manual sounds like the one for the 6200, which has 96KHz. Probably just an error during translation or technical publication, which doesn't surprise me, as the manuals are very poorly written.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 06, 2001 at 10:58 AM]

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, my speakers are listed in the first post. I have Paradigm Reference all around and PW-2200 as the sub. From what I can tell so far, the music blends nicely. I have my mains set up as large and the sub cross over is set on about 55 Hz. The volume is about 1/3 for the sub. With this setting the bass is nice and strong and I can't localize it to the sub.
And Bill, the remote it comes with is a derivative of the RC1200. No back light and you can't see the LCD screen in the dark. Which I think makes the flywheel useless in the dark b/c you won't be able to tell what you're selecting. I haven't even bother to program the other remotes to this one b/c I am pretty sure that I am going to get a Philips Pronto instead soon.
[Edited last by Michael Yung on August 06, 2001 at 11:14 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks