What's new

Marantz SR-7200 owners - good remote? (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I have the SR-6200 and don't like the remote. I does everything you ask of it, but it is uncomfortable to hold (thanks to its angular shape) and you can't operate it much by feel thanks to its small, identical buttons (except for the volume controls).
I'm left with two choices: buy a 3rd party remote or exchange the 6200 for the 7200.
How would you rate the 7200's remote?

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I'm in the market for a new receiver and am very interested in the 6200 or the 7200 vs. other brands. I would use it more than 50% for music, probably. What are your thoughts on the 6200 (and do you wish you had the 7200 - other than the remote)?
------------------

Jim Reynolds

Agent
Chris,I setup my new 7200 about 2 weeks ago and while I'm not familar with the remote on the 6200,the 7200 is not as ergonomic as some of the other remotes I have.It's about 8" long and 2 1/2" wide and I'm not sure I could operate it without looking to see what I was doing.I found setup and balancing the speakers to be pretty straight forward but found that running the s-video through the reciever to cause problems,the first was that as you change volume levels the on screen display("volume")becomes distorted.This has no effect on performce,but there's no need for that on a reciever for this money.Second,a bought a new 16:9 direct view this weekend and hooked it up using the s-video, and when you again changed the volume the entire picture dropped to the bottom of the screen,I cured this by running component video.These are minor problems on a reciever that sounds great and I won't tear my system apart again,but think about these things before you make your move. Jim

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Robert - The 6200 sounds great for music. I would not use the extra features of the 7200, but the remote does seem better, with macro capability, LCD screen, etc. The only question is wether the extra cash is worth the better remote.
Jim - It sounds like you have an early production unit with bad s-video. Mine was terrible, but it was fixed by Marantz. I would suggest you inquire about the free repair.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Chris, but now I am concerned about HT given this thread: Sound and Vision Tests 7200
How is the performance of the 6200 for home theater? Enough power (and what speakers are you using?) I wonder if the Sound and Vision test was flawed... I would be using it in a fairly large (18' x 23')room that opens to the back into a breakfast nook.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks