What's new

Marantz SR-4200 (1 Viewer)

DarrenW

Auditioning
I'm looking for a good receiver that will also satisfy my 2-channel musical needs. I've heard good things about the Marantz SR-4200. Can anyone comment?

I currently have a pair of B&W 303's that I would use as my front left/right.

I live in Canada and the SR-4200 is on sale for CDN $499, a great price I think.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
the 4200 is being replaced by the 4300, which is a HUGE jump up in features, with a full complement of 6.1 processing. The 4200 i would expect to be good receiver. Perhaps a little bit on the underpowered side, but I don't know. Perhaps you could get a good deal on the out-going 5200 as well? Although the 5200 had 6.1 as well, and if that is not needed, then perhaps the 4200 would be better spend money. I've only read good things about them, and i'm getting the new 5300 here in about a week. Either way, i think you will end up with a receiver that is as good, or better than all the comparable receivers. Since you may not need 6.1, which many now have, perhaps something like a harmon kardon would be good?

DarrenW

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback. I am actually only looking for 5.1 since it is for my small apartment. Yes, the 5200 is available for CDN $599.

My main concern is that the receiver will be acceptable for two channel CD playback...but I've read good things on the net about the 'musicality' of the 4200, so should be ok...

Michael WB

Auditioning
Darren I was in the same situation as you earlier this year and bought the 4200 because I like the way it sounds with music.

Like you I don´t have room for more than 5.1 and since it is my plan to move in to separates along the way I saw no need for a more power-full reciever.

I think the 4200 is power-full enough for you 303's butt if you feel the need for more power - and who doesn't - you could do the same as me and buy a second hand 2 channel amp and that will solve the problem, or maybe a 5 channel amp.

You might be able to get a good deal on the 4200 when the 4300 is introduced, and I think you will be happy with the way it sounds with your speakers.

Michael

Doug Smith

Second Unit
$499.00 (CAN)is too much for a 4200. Now that the X300 series is out you should get a 4200 for a song. If you live in western Canada try an A&B Sound - they are selling off there old models.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Accessories4Less is clearing out a bunch of Marantz 5200 receivers. They are refurbished, but feature a 1-year warranty on them.
Unfortunately, this company will only ship within the U.S. The auction is a dutch auction and they have 10 receivers available for $359.99 + shipping. Not too bad of a deal. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks