What's new

Marantz? Should I do it? (1 Viewer)

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
I have extensive expirience with all major brand recievers - Onkyo, Denon, HK, Pioneer ect. When I was a kid my dad had a marantz reciever that was solid and sounded excellent. Recently I was at CES and looked briefly at the Marantz line and thought they looked decent. The loud floor of the LVCC made it impossible to really demo them though.

Do any of you have expirience with the new Marantz line? I was thinking of picking up one of their entry level 7.1 recievers specifically the SR 4600 http://us.marantz.com/Products/1166.asp

If it is truly discrete output the 80Wx7 should be plenty for my 650 sq ft theater room and be able to really make my JBL speakers sing.

I am also going to upgrade from my cheap panasonic DVD player and was considering the matching Marantz DV 4600.

Anyone have any expirience with this equipment. I'm more concerned about SQ than anything else and this is the price point I want to be at until I can afford ATI equipment.

Any and all input and suggestions are appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What speakers specifically? My brother has a 4200 and I bought my dad a 4400 and both have performed flawlessly. I have owned 5 Marantz receivers and 2 integrated amps, and a pair of monoblocks myself and I have been quite happy with all of them. My PM7000 integrated had one channel go out on it at the 3yr mark (still under factory warranty), and my dealer offered to let me upgrade it to a PM7200. In the main HT, I am using an 8300 and I haven't found a good reason to upgrade since then. I say go for it! :)

I'm not familiar with their video gear though. I've gone with Denon on that side.

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Northridge e60s L&R and e25 center, Radio Shack Minimus 7 rear C L R. I have 6.1 right now, I'll be upgrading my surrounds to northridge e50s here in a couple of weeks for 7.1.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I've been running a Marantz SR7300 for the past 2 years to power my B&W600 series setup and it has performed flawlessly. I only recently stepped up to a Rotel amp and soon their pre/pro and the main reason for that is I'm helping a friend build his first system so I promised to sell him my Marantz when the time came...and it just came.

You will not be unhappy with marantz, I promise you. They are a known for their souce-direct mode that essentially leaves the signal uncolored, but if I had to describe the sound it produces, I would say it is a warm receiver.

The power IS as advertised. My 7300 is rated at 105Wx5 and as stated I'm now powering my speakers with the Rotel at 120Wx5 and while I have picked up some clarity, there was not a great difference in noticeable power shift between the two.

If I didn't love Rotel so much and want separates, I'd be looking for another Marantz. Brands like yamaha just don't compare IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks