Marantz? Rotel?...advice needed please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dan K, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Dan K

Dan K Auditioning

hey everyone,

i'm putting together a system with a fujitsu plasma, artison portrait speakers, sonance in-ceiling rears and a b&w asw675 sub.

i'm considering one of the following receivers:

marantz sr5500 ($650)
    marantz sr7500 ($1,100)
    rotel rsx-1056 ($1,300)

the room is a great room with an open kitchen right off it. it's about 15' X 30' with 8 1/2' ceilings.

i will be listening to music as well (a big reason i'm looking at marantz and rotel) but i'm not expecting the sound that my old b&w two channel system used to give. the artison's are a compromise since we are putting the tv above a fireplace. but i would still like it to sound decent.

is it worth going for the 7500 over the 5500 for an extra $450?
    does the rotel sound $200 better than the 7500?

thanks a lot for any input.

dan

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Where are you located? I can get the 7500 for less than that if you are local. The 7500 has auto-EQ, which the 5500 does not, and it has a worthwhile jump in power. The auto-EQ would probably make it worth it over the Rotel as well, but IMO, the Rotel is going to sound better. $200 better is hard to say. What are the specs for the Artisans?

You might want to reconsider the sub. B&Ws subs are decent, but there are better value subs with similar or better performance available through internet direct companies, as you will come to see on this forum.

3. Dan K

Dan K Auditioning

thanks for the reply.

here are the specs on the artison speakers:

sensitivity-- 89db @2.83 volts, 1 meter
    nominal impedance--6 ohms

it sounds like they present an average load. (you can see them at artisonusa.com if you're curious.) i auditioned them and thought they sounded great and solved my speaker/fireplace problem with the center channel.

the prices i put up are manufacturer listings. i do plan on purchasing my equipment through a dealer here however. they have already done the prewire for me.

thanks again.

dan