Marantz recievers around $600 us

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Johan_relen, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

I'm going to buy a Marantz reciever and couple it with Audio Pro Black Diamonds, Audio Pro Black Vector, Audio Pro Image 11 and an audio pro sub (active).

I've been looking at SR 5200 and SR 6200, and I wonder, do I need the extra power of the SR 6200? Otherwise the features are very much alike (except for the CS 5.1 of 6200). I've also seen a model called SR 5200G, which pricerunner told me, doesn't support DTS 5.1. Is there such a model? Never heard of it before. Strange thing is that it's supposed to handle DTS-ES 6.1 (although not DTS 5.1) and it's not supposed to handle DD-EX 6.1 (although it handles DD 5.1). It all seems strange somehow.

Also can Marantz handle 4 ohm impendance speakers?

Lots of questions there, hope you'll have the answers!

Thanks in advance!

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Johan,

Welcome to HTF,

3. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

Thanks for your reply!

Can't buy the x300 series cause it's really overpriced here, 5300 costs a lot more than 6200. The 7200 is also to expensive.

The choice is between 5200 and 6200 if they can handle my 4 ohm speakers well. Otherwise I'll have to look at some other brand I guess.

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Would you consider refurbished? You can get a great deal on one at www.accessoriesforless.com . I have a 7300 it's not a refurbished one and I'm very happy with mine.

5. Johan Meyer

Johan Meyer Auditioning

You can get the new sr4300 for the same price as the sr4200
    Believe it or not

See my post of today

6. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

I live in Sweden and the prices are very different here, and not to our advantage [​IMG]

Anyway, what I really need to know is if Marantz can handle 4 ohm speakers and whether to buy 5200 or 6200.

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think you should talk to your dealer to see what your warranty will cover. Also try to send and email to marantz, maybe they can confirm you that the SR6200 can handle 4ohms. But for sure between the two go for the SR6200, it has better chances to handle the 4ohm load than the SR5200.

I dont know what other brands you could get in sweden? But you could go with Yamaha, there are some recievers that can handle 4ohms speakers or maybe Harman Kardon?

8. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

I think I can help a litle here. I have a 6200, but prior to that tried a 4200 and a 5200. I send both units back to the store because they didn't sound as good as I wanted them to sound. The 5200 was better than the 4200, but worse than the 5200.
    Believe me, if you want to use it for music besides HT, go for the 6200...

9. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

Thanks a lot for your help Ferran and Pablo!

I don't want a yamaha reciever because I feel H/K and Marantz are simply put, better. I've actually started thinking about H/K because I don't really need 6.1 (won't get the extra center speaker) and they seem more powerful than most other brands, perhaps a bit to much bass for some ppl but the speakers I'll buy are the opposite so I feel the combination could be good and the guy who had the speakers before me used a H/K AVR4000 which has a lower power-rating than avr 3550 which is the reciever I'd like to buy.

We can get most brands here in sweden but often to a higher price.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    None of the Marantz x200 or x300 are rated for 4ohm speakers. Right on the back, they state 6-8 Ohms. I believe they can handle 4, but it is also pushing your luck. If you must go with 4 ohm speakers, consider used NAD or Rotel. The NAD 752 and 762 are soon to be replaced, so you should be able to get pretty good pricing on them in the near future.

H/K will not provide you with much more power in the same price range, and I was pretty certain they are also not 4 Ohm stable.

11. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

I can't find a Rotle at all in my price range. Anyway, I looked at a NAD T742 (on the internet, I've no one to demo it for me around here) and it looks great. All positive user comments and true power!

I think this'll be my first AV Reciever!

12. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Receiver manufacturers have to make a lot of choices when designing their products. One of the choices is what kind of speaker load can they tolerate. It costs a lot more to build a product that will handle low impedance speakers (4 ohm). Earlier this year, I went looking for a new receiver that could handle my 4 ohm Magnepans and I specifically wanted to try out a Marantz.

Well, Marantz like most other receivers are not rated to handle 4 ohm loads. I even checked the back panel and learned they will only handle 6 ohm loads if you are funning fronts only. If you want 5 or 6 channels sound, you need 8 ohm speakers.

I would agree with John that you should look at an NAD 742. It has a much better power supply, will handle speaker loads down to 2 ohms and it has a pre/pro section that is better than any other line of receivers for less than $1000US. (It appears to be the same pre/pro section that they use in their top of the line 762!). I have heard one and it made me regret buying my Denon.

Good luck

13. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

Thanks for strengthening my belives in the NAD! This is really difficult and you think you've decided what to buy like once a day..I think it's different this time though.

This forum is really a great HT resource, I want to thank everyone here! I would've never even considered NAD without you all!

Now I'm just waitning for someone to turn my world upside down again [​IMG]

14. Daniel=L

Daniel=L Auditioning

Why don't you get an amp and a pre/pro. You can use the marantz receiver that you like as your pre/pro that would pair nicely with an rotel amp RMB 1075(now only $900) brand new. With the amp, you wouldn't have to worry about what ohms you got on the speaker

The rotel rmb 1075 has been getting high reviews from audiophiles and is comparable to amps costing 3x the cost of this amp.

i have a marantz 5300 myself and this amp and the result is.... heavenly.

15. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

Problem is that I don't have the cash, that's why I'm going for H/K or NAD, don't seem to have entireley made up my mind. Both these should be able to give my 4 ohm speakers the power they need without help. Also, from what I hear there's nothing wrong with the sound coming out of the recievers I'm thinking of.

Anyway regarding the choice H/K or NAD: I've heard that NAD sounds rather bright and are low on bass, is that true? My speakers are kind of bright so it might get to bright? I guess we all know that H/K recievers are far from bright.

16. Daniel=L

Daniel=L Auditioning

H/k and NAD are quite expensive though.. I seem to think they are more expensive than marantz. try to save up a little more and go seperates... that's the way to go and you'll love your setup even more. If you pick a receiver make sure it has pre outs on it so you could upgrade to seperates in the long term.

good luck.

17. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

18. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

While it's true the back panel of the Marantz units in question specify 6-ohm minimum, Marantz is promoting and distributing 4-ohm speakers (Mordaunt-Short THX-Select 500 series - not the 900 series). I doubt they'd sell these speakers if the receivers couldn't handle them.

I'd definitely go for the 6200 over the 5200 - you get a more robust power supply and a useful analogue surround mode, Circle-Surround 5.1.

19. Johan_relen

Johan_relen Extra

I won't go pre/pro and separetes because I'll have to start saving for a computer now, otherwise I'd do it ofcourse, I am looking for good sound.

The pricedifference is neglictable at least here in sweden. I can either buy a Marantz 6200, a H/K 3550 or a NAD 742 within $30 us. Problem is I can't audition them [​IMG] I want the best sound possible within my pricerange but I've also tried looking at features of the different units.

A few examples:
    Marantz has a sucky remote, which means I might have to invest in a new one. I don't care about 6.1 surround because I can't afford the speakers anyway. The digital ins and outs are pretty much the same on all units though NAD falls behind a bit (nothing to be concerned about for me because I won't use all and the most important ones are the same anyway). I can't afford to go separetes so therefore pre-outs are unnecessary. A thing that I am considering is that I'd like analog settings for bass and trebble, Marantz hasn't got them, H/K does but I don't know when it comes to NAD?

Feels like no matter how long I make the list, there are no real differences, only minor stuff that can be fixed like the remote of marantz.

What I need is power and good sound from my speakers. The guy that had these speakers before me used a H/K which is rated lower than the one I'm considering (although I just noticed his had higher "Instantaneous Current Capability" the one I'm considering, his had 35 amps mine 30 amps, is this important?). Some ppl take weight as power but all these recievers are about equal and I wouldn't trust such a comparison anyway.

I think I'll go for a H/K or NAD because NAD is 4 ohm secure and the H/K has been tested by the previous owner of my speakers. Both these brands are supposed to have good music sound from what I've read but they're also supposed to good for HT (note that I am talking about avrs in my price range).

It all comes down to which is the more powerful reciever? The H/K rated 5x60 w (8 ohm) all channels driven or the NAD rated 5x50 w (8 ohm) all channels driven? And more importantly which has the highest dynamic output? The H/K rated 30 amp "instantaneous current capability" or the NAD rated "IHF Dynamic Power" 2 x 130W (21.1 dBW) (4 ohms)?

This is really hard when I can't use the only real instrument for this kind of purchase, my ears. That's why I just go for pure power atm. Thanks again for all your help and more input is highly appreciated.